PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Filters

shaley
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
What is the best method for cleaning the pre filter and the finishing filter? Thanks for any input.

Shawn
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
I put them in the washing machine and run it on hot water only, nothing else. Then let them air dry. During the course of in the sugar house when its time for another I let them soak in a pail of water and then bring them down at the end of the day/night and throw them in the washing machine.:cool:

GramaCindy
03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I beg to differ on Shawn's suggestion. You should never wash any filters in the washer. First of all the agitation and spinning is bad for them. It will deteriorate the fibers and rip them causing them to age prematurely. Second, it doesn't matter at all if you use no soap, they WILL pick up some residue and hang on to the detergent. What I do is label the filters, flat ones, front and back. I am sure to wash the residue from the back to the front, pushing the niter and scum out the way it went in. Use hot water and some good flowing water, (I use the tub faucet) rinse, rinse, rinse. and hang to dry. Don't wring them out, it will tear the fibers. I usually have a bucket of water in the sugar house and drop my prefilters in as soon as they are done being used.

SeanD
03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
At the end of the season, nothing seems to beat a good soak in boiling water. During the season I run them under very hot tap water. Our hot water heater cranks out scalding water. That's good enough for the prefilters. For the Orlon I give it another step. I turn it inside out and soak it in hot water for a couple hours, then I dump that out, rinse and then give it another long soak and rinse. Hang to dry.

Sean

Vermont Creation Hardwood
03-23-2013, 04:15 AM
I wash my filters in the washing machine, as Shawn does. I do rinse out the bulk of niter in the kitchen sink using my sprayer. In the washing machine I use the gentle cycle, water only. No, it does not pick up the detergent taste, if your washer rinses properly. If your washer doesn't rinse well, put it through a rinse cycle before washing the filters. The gentle cycle does not tear fibers. On mine I have an extended spin cycle. The filters come out dry to the touch, not bone dry, just right for filtering. I wash the prefilters the same way at the same time.

maple island farms
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
When we still used the orlon filters I washed them every night in the washer. They lasted years. Now we use a press. I don't miss filters hangin all over.

DonMcJr
03-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I personally would NOT take the chance of washing them in a washing machine with all the detergent and softener that is in there, it just doesn't seem right and not food grade! Maybe a Dishwasher but a Clothes Washing Machine? Not Me...

I run Hot tap water through them the opposite way the Syrup went through. I asked our local Sugarbush Supplier and that's what they recommended and also said if that doesn't work try more pressure with your hose outside with a spray nozzle on it.

maple maniac65
03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
the old MayTag wringer washers are wonderful for washing filters