PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

super sappy
07-04-2006, 03:27 AM
I have been infested with snakes this summer at my sugar house. I have not seen one inside yet but they are every where outside. The problem is that I cant stand them and just about piss myself every time I see one. Do any maple traders have any Ideas on what I can do to at least keep them out of the building?I have kept the grass mowed and I uncovered a large mass of snakes that I burned but they are still everywhere.Super Sappy

Fred Henderson
07-04-2006, 05:05 AM
You probably have a lot of mice, a good food source for snakes. Poison the mice to get rid of them and the snakes with leave also. No food. I put mouse poison in my wood pile twice a year.

GregMVT
07-04-2006, 05:06 AM
From what I've read I understand that chickens will eat/kill small snakes. Is the sugarhouse in an area where you can turn your chickens loose? I built my coop/run near our sugarhouse, mostly so I could tie into the electric and keep an eye on them. My problem is mice in the sugarhouse and the garden. The chickens are in between both so hopefully I won't loose as many tomatoes this year.

Greg

super sappy
07-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Fred I took your advise and put out alot of poison.I took the plastic off the wood piles and found some large nests of grass clipings. These I think were old mouse nests but were now full of snakes. I took some pictures and will post them at a later date( dial up). The fisher cat put us out of the chicken business but they will eat snakes ,suck em down like spagetti.I alwayse had to fence off the garden from the chickens because they would eat the ripe fruits.Not a problem this year the garden is still on the front porch and the only chickens left are in the chicken tractor.Man it has been wet this year trying to get work done this summer has been like driving a flat bed of pumpkins up a steep bumpy hill. Only a little syrup left it has been selling steady many repeat customers this week -Super Sappy

Fred Henderson
07-08-2006, 05:40 AM
I doubt that the snakes are living in the nest, They are just looking for mice to feed on. It is Ok to leave the piles covered.
I found that my stacked and stickered lumber piles were a good place for the mice to build nest and I to had a lot of snakes. A snake will startle me but I am not scared of them because I know that they help keep the mouse population under control. I put poision in my sugarhouse and wood pile twice a year or the place would be over run with them.

mcmp
07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I too have seen more snakes this year than in many past years. Mostly adders. I believe its due to all the wet weather we have been having. They come out into the open to get away from the wet.

I carry a Model 19 with 357 shot shells in a shoulder holster when working out side, especially when mowing. I am at war, and winning. Kill them now, or they will breed and you will have more next summer. I have had a few bad experiences with posion snakes. Snakes and I dont do well.

Paul

super sappy
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I did just that today. I took my lunch break on top of a section of pipe scaffolding behind the sap house.Armed with the crossman air rifel i got four in about 30 minutes. On another note A pt of my syrup went for $21.oo at a charity auction at the fair grounds tonight. Made me feel pretty good considering Sandy Bordens world famous apple ring cake only brought $15.00 including the plate. Man we know how to have fun in Easton-Super Sappy

Pete33Vt
07-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Congrats on the pint of syrup Sappy, good to see people willing to help a good cause and get something great for it. As far as snakes, quite a few here this year none that are posioniuos, but I still don't like them. I have been watching this post for a cure. So far lawn mower working good here.Going to try and get rid of mice and spiders see if that helps get rid of them. Good luck.
Pete

Jim Brown
07-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Sappy/Pete : I agree the only good one is a dead one! aound here .22 shot works well and a weed wacker does wonders also!
Keep up the good work!!!

mcmp
07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I tried carrying my 12 ga pump in a ankle holster, but I walked funny.

I think the final answer is to call in a A-10 Strike with Napalm. Just use good coordinates.

Bawana ( snake killer

hard maple
07-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I've killed 9 snakes so far this year. Found two more today, but they bolted before I could get the shovel to dice em up!! They were nested in the woodshavings that I dump over the bank next to the sugarhouse.

Father & Son
07-10-2006, 06:25 AM
I was going to try some of the Decon the kill the mice in and around the sugar house until I read the box. It said it can have secondary effects on birds of prey. We have eagles and red-tailed hawks that I wouldn't want to accidentally poison so I'll have to try plan B - Victor traps.

Jim