PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 Tree Saver Tip?

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I got this tip on one of my youtube video comments...what do you all think?

" Do you want a little tip for a better performance!, cut with a knive the bottom part of the plastic spile that you put in the tree, in other words, the bottom part of the spile as no hole, the hole is only on the end of the spile, so by cutting the botton part for at least 1/2 inch to the end will enlarge the space for the water to go out...That will increase the flow by 40%, I know, I made the test and it does increase the flow, I was on gravity for many years...Good luck!! "

kraemerp
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Seems Logical..Although regular spiles only have one little hole in them as well....Food for thought

Bucksaw
03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm a little confused...which part is he suggesting that you cut? The part that sticks into the tree?

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm a little confused...which part is he suggesting that you cut? The part that sticks into the tree?

Yes the bottom part that is stuck into the tree...

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
If this really increased flow 40%, don't you think spout designers would have been building them this way for a while??????

MASSEY JACK
03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
I suspect this person is drilling too large a hole and is driving the spout in too far.If I cut the spout I would have a hard time getting it to seal in the tree. My spouts don't go in a half inch.

wnybassman
03-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure it matters. I was at a buddy's house tonight and he has these little tiny micro spouts. Reminded me of a basketball inflater adapter they were so small. He drills a 5/32 hole, taps the tiny spout in and the 5/16 tubing fits over the fat part of the tap. He said he averaged a quart of syrup per tap last year, which is about average for bigger taps.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/tinyspout_zps0a4dd2b8.jpg

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 08:56 PM
That's what I was thinking too...if it worked then they would make them that way....

PerryW
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I would think a notch or hole in the spout would only make a difference if the spout bottomed out in the taphole.