PDA

View Full Version : Is this an OK Idea?

Crystal
03-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Thinking about reusing plastic gallon milk/juice containers to collect sap. Since the handle is on the side of jug I was wondering if it's ok to hammer a nail into trunk to hang the jug handle on. Would this pose any problems?
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

happy thoughts
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
No don't nail them. It will wound the tree and limit your tapping options in the future. What kind of spiles are you using? Are they made for tubing or buckets?

Jeff E
03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I have seen these jugs used, with rope or webbing around the tree to hold them in place. No damage to the tree.

Asthepotthickens
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Thinking about reusing plastic gallon milk/juice containers to collect sap. Since the handle is on the side of jug I was wondering if it's ok to hammer a nail into trunk to hang the jug handle on. Would this pose any problems?
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Tie some twine around the tree, hand a small hook made out of a coat hager on the twine and hook your jug on it.

PerryW
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't think a nail would hurt the tree too much, as long as it is pulled at the end of the season, but I think the nail is unnecessary.

I've seen people cut a small square hold in the plastic jug, slightly larger than the spout (with a utility knife) and just use the spout itself to hold the jug.

Or just tie the string around the spout.

ALSO: Go to google images and google: gallon jug sap bucket and you will se some interesting ideas.

happy thoughts
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
crystal, I've never used milk jugs but here are two ways to hang them.

http://mdc.mo.gov/media/image/milk-jug-maple-sap-collector

I think a bungy might work, too, and make for easy release and emptying.

Another way is this image from a page that is no longer online but I had saved. Here's where a coat hanger might come in handy as a hanger on a spile made for buckets.

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

aws
03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I have just used scrap copper wire in the past. Very malleable, just wrap it around the jug and spile. Really quick to undo and redo, no knots, straps, or bungees to mess with.

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Crystal, this year I purchased some extra spiles, but didn't have extra sap pails to go with them, so I used jugs. I have been THRILLED with them! They are really sturdy, and to make myself feel better, I did put a piece of twine through the handle and tied them onto the tree. They never flop around, even when it is really windy, and they give me less worry than the sap buckets. The only issue with them is that on a day when the sap is just gushing, you'll need to keep an eye on them and empty them more often so they don't overflow. Gee, what a wonderful problem to have.

When I cut the hole for the jugs I didn't make an "O" shaped hole I made a "U" shaped hole. I then folded up the top piece of plastic from the "U" so that it makes a bit of a roof over the hole to help keep bugs, rain and snow out. (And by the way, the sap in the jugs is 10X cleaner than the sap that you collect in traditional pails.) I then put small bits of duct tape around all of the cut edges for added strength, but mostly to keep myself from being cut by the sharp plastic edges. When you're done, slide the jug over the spile and push the jug toward the tree until it is snug. Wrap some twine through the handle and then wait for the bucket to fill.

I might add that I wish we had milk jugs up here in Canada like you do in the States. We can only buy milk in either boxes or bags, so the jugs I've had to use are water jugs. It take much longer to save those up than it would if our milk came in jugs.

Next time I go to check on the buckets and jugs I'll take a picture for you.

Crystal
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank you all so much for the helpful advice!
After searching images I think I'll use a homemade wire "s" hook to hang the jug from the spile. Then notch a hole into the jug cap and stick the tubing through cap, attach the other end of tubing to the spile.
All about reusing. :lol:

KGodshall
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry for the late delay in replying. Apparently I hadn't gone through these posts before........

I've been using milk jugs for the past 3 years. I put a cable tie through the handle of the jug and then hang that on the S hook. If there is no S hook, I just put a cable tie around the spile and through the one on the jug.

Takes a little learning to twist the jug off of the spile, dump it into the pail, and twist right back on the spile, without removing it every time, but you will figure it out quick.

Only drawback on the milk jugs: over time the plastic tends to stretch, distorting the mouth or making it sometimes difficult to keep the mouth of the jug in line with the spile. But, by the time I need a new jug, I usually have emptied the milk out of another one.

Cheap, readily available, recyclable. I like it.

Spolcik
02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
I also use some jugs. I tape a clear hose inserted in the end of the spile then drill a hole in the cap of the jug. just set the jug on the ground. when its time to empty just pull the hose out and dump into collection container. works great you get little to no debris in the sap never have to filter sap before boiling.

tonka
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
The first year I tapped trees I also used milk jugs, I wrapped a wire around the neck of the jug and made a loop so the hook I had on my spill would go through the eye made from wire and the spill would be right over where the cap was on the jug. Worked awesome!

bowhunter
02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
I use some gallon milk jugs with plastic tree saver spiles. The simplest way to hang them is to use zip ties through the handle and over the head of the spile. Hang the jug on the tree with the handle facing the tree and adjust the zip tie until the tip of the spile is down in the mouth of the jug about 1/2 inch. They work great, are easy to adjust and strong. If you get the zip tie too short just put another one on and adjust to the right length.

Jonnie Maple
02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
First off, this is my first year.
I am using tree saver spiles and tubing into 1 gallon milk/water jugs. I am holding them up with a coat hanger hooked around the spile and the other end hooked into the handle of the jug. I also drilled a hole in the cap of the jug to accept the tubing. So far this seems to be working well.

Lethalbowman
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
I like to coil a heavy gauge wire around the taps (either the clear or the black plastic ones) before pounding them into the tree. Once the tap is in place I don't have to worry about that wire falling off. I have not had a tap break yet using this method. It's so easy just to bend the wire around the handle and I am all set.

dan W.

Rangdale
02-26-2014, 03:04 PM
I also use some milk jugs and just wrap a piece of wire (just stripped off the sheath of some 14-3 I had laying around) and wrapped it around the tree. Took a smaller piece and twisted it around the handle and made a hook on the other end and hooked it to the wire going around the tree. Then drilled a 5/16 hole in the cap and just put a piece of tubing into the cap and onto the spile. Works great!