PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Lines.

tonka
03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I am planning on putting up about a half dozen gravity lines up in a woods I have permission to go in. I understand that when running gravity lines, the straighter the better, my question is, if I have a tree say 10 feet away from my main line, will it work to run line from the tree to the mainline? (the extra long drop line will have no sag in it) How mush dose a guide wire help when running mainlines? (mainline will be 5/16" tubing) Thanks!

spud
03-21-2013, 04:53 AM
It would work but you might not have very much natural vacuum (unless there are a bunch more taps on this same line). It sounds like you will be using tubing for both lateral lines and mainlines. If this is the case I would use a Y instead of Tee when going after that one tree 10 feet away. I would not waste my time or money on a guide wire because you should be able to keep things real tight because you are using tubing. Try to have 25+ taps per lateral line so you will get natural vacuum though.

Spud

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 05:06 AM
These Fittings only have flow through the middle. The other 2 go around the tree with tubing to hold it and you can pull it tight...

http://www.leaderevaporator.com/images/Product/medium/4735-1.jpg

tonka
03-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I plan on having around that 25 taps per line maybe 30. Flow is better in Y then T's? http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=367 These are the Y's I am planning on getting instead of the T's now.

unc23win
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Well yea the flow is better in Y than a T becasue of the angle. Run the line to the end tree as tight as you can the go back and cut in the Y and then go to that tree. It might help when you firt start to hold the Y above the line and move it along the line until its pointing to the low side of the tree. If your not using tubing tools you will want to pull the line tight and then cut a couple of inches off when you put in the Y you'll learn how much as you go.

PerryW
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
I am planning on putting up about a half dozen gravity lines up in a woods I have permission to go in. I understand that when running gravity lines, the straighter the better, my question is, if I have a tree say 10 feet away from my main line, will it work to run line from the tree to the mainline? (the extra long drop line will have no sag in it) How mush dose a guide wire help when running mainlines? (mainline will be 5/16" tubing) Thanks!

Yes, a 10' drop line will work fine as long as it slopes downhill to the mainline. I do this sometimes to avoid the hassle of putting the extra fittings involved with a typical end tree. Depending on the configuration of your trees, you can also considering zig-zagging your way down the hill, rather that using these long drop lines. Sap seems to flow better with a long single run (zig-zagging) than having lots of Y's or TEE's and branch lines and produce better natural vacuum.

I wouldn't bother with wire on 5/16 tubing unless the run is pretty flat (not much pitch).

tonka
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
From the looks of driving by I think, THINK, I might be able to get to a 6% grade, which I think is the least to create natural vacuum?! (correct me if I am wrong). I am going to try and put up a line to see what kind of grade/slope I am dealing with to get a better idea. Got my order in for more tubing and Y fittings so hopefully they will be here Saturday!

longbeard
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I seem to recall a fall of about 4% will do, but try a laser lite on a cloudy day or near dark to get the actual drop. Unless your eye is better than mine you will be surprised at how far out you will be. I have lots of hills and guessed for years about the amount of fall I had and then did the laser beam thing and man it was way out!! A normal household laser will work and just go from tree to tree if a long distance between your taps. Good luck.

tonka
03-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Longbeard, what type of laser level do you have?

PerryW
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
You can also take a smaller carpenters level and a small mirror.

Sight down the top of the level and hold the mirror at a 45 degree angle (next to the bubble) to see the bubble at the same time.

Sugarmaker
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
My two cents:
I would zig-zag the main line (5/16) to pick up that lone tree. Then put a standard drop line on it at that tree. I try to get 5% drop in my 25 or fewer taps per run. Not sure I am getting much natural vacuum, but you still need some slope to get the sap to the tank. I do not use "y"'s anywhere in my system. I do use a blind tee at my end drops.
Regards,
Chris

tonka
03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
.....I do use a blind tee at my end drops......

What do you mean by "blind tee"? I am new to running tubing.

Sugarmaker
03-23-2013, 02:58 PM
tonka,
There are more plastic fittings out there tan you can shake a stick at. All the manufactures have to have something to set them apart. Any way I think its CDL or one of the Canadian mfg's that has a tee that will only let the sap go one direction that allows you to connect a dead end to the other side of the tee and use it to go around the tree without having any sap in it. These blind tees are usually green plastic and have a protruding feature. I think they may have a right hand and a left hand version too.
Regards
Chris