PDA

View Full Version : Bear Damage

MapleHillSugarBush
03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
We have had regular bear damage on one section of our main line over the last half dozen years to where I have patches every 10 feet or so now. We are replacing 500 ft in that section this season as it's gotten to the point where I suspect my patches are adding to lose of vacuum. I have been considering ways to electrify either the wire supporting the main lines or running a 26ga fence wire just below. Has any one else done this?

Jmsmithy
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
I've not had experience with electrifying sap lines specifically but have used portable electric fences on hunts in Alaska. There are a number available of varying sizes. You may be able to rig one for your needs....

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Maple Hill, there was another thread on bear damage recently where a person talked about running their sugaring wire on insulators so they could electrify the line. Said they haven't had bear damage since.

Asthepotthickens
03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Leave a boom box out in the section of the bush, play some rap music that should keep anything away.

unc23win
03-21-2013, 07:25 AM
An electric fencer probably would work. If you have your line on wire you might not even need to worry about insulators depending on how many feet of line most fencers do miles. The more ground rods the more zap. If you do electrify it put a trail camera on it and share the video that would be worth seeing.

Shawn
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Got a friend up in Northern NH that had problems with bears this year breaking into his shed etc over and over, Fish and Game told him to fill ballons with ammonia and they will bite into the ballon and do not like the ammonia smell or taste and it worked. Does not harm the bears and he got rid of them.