PDA

View Full Version : Draining 45 Gallons thru 5/16 line-How much time ?

TerryEspo
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Ya, my mind is wondering, lol.

This has to do with getting sap across my creek.

My friend says "Run your blue tubing across the creek, barrel to barrel"

Due to the slope and height difference , theoretically it will work.

I just wonder how long it would take to run 45 gallons of sap through 5/16 line ?

Anyone know approx. ?

Thanks.

Terry

325abn
03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Lots of variables there man.

TerryEspo
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
K, rid the variables.

If I had a 45 gallon barrel in my driveway, put a spigot in it, reduce the fitting to fit 5/16 tube. Open the valve and let it rip.

How long till the barrel is empty you think ?

Thanks.

Terry

markct
03-20-2013, 10:38 PM
half inch black poly is just a little more money than tubing and would flow alot more!

Russell Lampron
03-21-2013, 05:37 AM
How long of a distance are we talking here? Are you siphoning it or draining it? I like Marks idea of 1/2" poly but would go 1" myself. I tried draining a 35 gallon tank with a garden hose and it took too long for my liking. I wouldn't even attempt it with 5/16" unless I could get it started and come back to it a couple of hours later.

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 05:52 AM
If you're just going from one storage tank to another I would look at getting something in a bigger diameter...maybe even some drinking water hose or 3/4 pvc...

West Mountain Maple
03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
if it can make it across the creek via gravity, why bother collecting on the other side, just extend the line and collect on this side, no?

TerryEspo
03-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Good Morning All:

Let me clarify, your input is appreciated.

The across the creek area, I have approx. 60 taps I think. They are not all on one line, they empty into different containers, I have approx. 12 separate stops to collect over there.

The good news is, it is higher ground on the highest part of the creek bank over there, so yes, if a 45 gallons barrel was on the high bank across the creek, gravity would carry it to MY house side.

When the creek opens to full flow, it is hard (impossible) for me to get the snowmachine or ATV across, but I can get myself over to empty my containers, its just how to get 50-80 gallons of sap back across each time.

The distance would be approx. 40-50 ft. max. I don't want to buy food grade tube as it is too much money for me right now.

The barrel on MY side of the creek would be located near my other trees that are tapped. I can now use snowmachine to move it.

If and when sap runs, I would cross the creek (walking), empty my containers into the 45 gallon barrel on the high bank, as it is flowing to my side, I will continue to empty containers over there. No rush as to how long the sap takes to get to MY side because when I get back to MY side, I can empty my other containers as to not waste time.

Too hard to get a full 45 gallon drum across the creek.

Only becuase I have 5/16 tubing I was thinking of using that, but now seems so slow.

I love my creek but not so much right now, lol.

I really need a foot bridge but dont have one for this season.

Whats a good price for 1/2" poly ?

Thanks.

Terry

Dill
03-21-2013, 07:30 AM
A garden hose at min. I've been using one for a while to pump out barrels. Finally upgraded my main tank in the vac bush to a 1inch pump line. Holy cow, why didn't I do that years ago? Dropped pumping time from 30 minutes to 10. Black water pipe is pretty cheap.

West Mountain Maple
03-21-2013, 07:36 AM
around here 20 cents a foot for 1/2" maple tubing, or for black water pipe in 3/4"

unc23win
03-21-2013, 07:42 AM
I know you said you didn't want to spend the money but 1" water pipe is about $30 for 100 feet. Probably well worh it a lot less messing with fittings as well. If you wanted to use 5/16" maybe use more than one?

Dennis H.
03-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Get some 1/2 or even 3/4 black water pipe and 2 of those tension grips 2 ratchet straps and you are good to go.
Use the ratchet straps around the end trees to hook to the tension grips that you slide over the black pipe at each end and pull tight.

3/4" black pipe here at alocal hardware store costs me $67 for 400 feet. Tension grips are about $14 and 2 ratchet straps for about the same at $14.
You can get partial rolls of pipe so that would really save some money for you.

TerryEspo
03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Called a hardware store. They want $27.00 for 100 ft. roll of 1/4 inch black, potable water line.

I may go that route.

Gonna walk to the back and assess the potential.

Thanks all.

Terry

CampHamp
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
If you get both barrels to the same level, with a full tube to the bottom in both, then you could use both barrels to collect your sap and double your storage.

PerryW
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
sounds like you are setting up a dumping station on the high bank. black plastic 100 PSI 1/2" waterline should be around 15-20 cents per foot. you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes or any plumbing store. They sell in in 100 foot rolls.

Depending on the vertical drop across the 45-50', my best guess it that you could drain 45 gallons in about 30-60 minutes through 5/16" line and it would take 10-15 minutes to drain it through 1/2" pipe.

backyard sugaring
03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I drain my 40 gallon drum with 3/4 pex water potable in minutes (150feet)it is cheap money. We put hose attachments on it and run water through it every once in a whlle keeps it nice and clean. Been using it for years. Good luck. Lee

delivron
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Mark Casper answered this question in this post.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17142-5-16-1-2-quot-flow-rates

TerryEspo
03-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, back inside, done !

After supper, ran to local hardware/luber store and bought 100 ft. of 1/2 inch,,75PSI black water pipe ($20.99).

My son (8yrs old) wanted to help me, so off we went.

Very easy to work with that pipe, we wired it off on the far side first and connected it to the far side barrel. Then, I giver a toss across the creek and made it 3/4 of the way. My son was more that happy to crawl across the snow covered ice with water running under it to retrieve the black pipe.

Strung it through some trees that are in the way and found out where 100 ft. ends, lol. Wired that end to a nearby tree also.

Placed the receiving barrel in place and almost ready to try liquids, I needed another hose clamp !!

Tomorrow sap is SUPPOSED to run, weatherman is sooo unpredictable.:(

Thanks to all here that informed me black pipe is so cheap !! Without your help I wouldnt have even priced it. Silly me.

I now have a dumping station. Just gotta figure how I am going to cross when the creek gets bad !! Thinking 16ft. aluminum ladder laying down should work !!

Keeping my fingers crossed !!

Thanks guys.

Terry

PerryW
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Mark Casper answered this question in this post.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17142-5-16-1-2-quot-flow-rates

I believe Mark was assuming a 1.5% slope. Hopefully, Terry has a little more pitch.

PerryW
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Terry, that's awesome. I love gravity, it works for nothing and requires no maintenance.

TerryEspo
03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Hey Perry......Good point, free is always good.

My next little concern is is sap gets frozen in the line. I am not sure what degree my slope is, but it looks fine.

The dump into barrel across the creek is approx. just above eye level or so, maybe 6-7 feet at most above the collection barrel.

My 1/2 black line is semi tight, if I lift the line by hand once all is drained it should empty it fine.

Sun is out right now, temps a couple degrees below freezing, but only just past 9 a. m. Fingers are crossed.

Need to bring a bucket of water to the dump station to run out any dust or critters that may me hiding in the new tube !!

Hope everyone gets tonns of sap today, we all deserve it.

Terry

Dennis H.
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
The ladder trick should work for you. Throw a few planks of wood on it and you are good to go.
Have you ever seen how mountain climbers cross deep cracks? They use the same ladder trick, and they are loaded tot he gills with equipment.

PerryW
03-22-2013, 12:24 PM
The ladder trick should work for you. Throw a few planks of wood on it and you are good to go.
Have you ever seen how mountain climbers cross deep cracks? They use the same ladder trick, and they are loaded tot he gills with equipment.

that's exactly what I was thinking. Like this pic:

TerryEspo
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
OMG,,,what a pic. Hope he carries GREAT life insurance.

Sap is dribbling today, I am in the back a bit playing with ice in the lines, pouring hot water on them to melt the ice, lol.

Tapped about 10 new trees and it is dripping better than old taps, no ice in lines.

Going across the creek later this eve. to see what is in those pails.

Good luck to all this weekend.

Terry

maple flats
03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Yea, gravity is one law you can't easily break, some have tried.