PDA

View Full Version : snow on my mainlines

Betch
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Do I have to shovle the snow off my mainlines ?

The Sweet Spot
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
After a snow storm I walk my entire bush. Knocking the snow off will allow your lines to thaw earlier. You might find something wrong too.

Mike R.
03-20-2013, 08:31 PM
I usually take a ride down to the bush with the snowmobile and give the mainlines a shake to knock the snow off. If it is light fluffy snow I wouldn't worry, but heavy wet snow I would be a little concerned, not sure of what though.

Bruce L
03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Depends on how deep the snow is on the lines,how much sap you want.Several years ago my wife and I shovelled off probably close to 1000 feet of mainline,some places were as deep as my shoulders,thank goodness not all of it.Another producer 1/2 hour south of us declared he wasn't shovelling out his lines,he made less than 1/3 the amount of syrup we did and he had more taps

ennismaple
03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Light snow - don't bother because it'll settle or melt off. Heavy snow that buries the mainline - yes. Unless your mainline is very steep the snow will cause a dip in the mainline and when it freezes solid (and it will) you'll get no sap/vacuum past that point.

PerryW
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
There is one area where the my mainline is close to the ground that required shoveling, but my mainlines are black plastic are suspended above the snow so the snow falls off by the time the sap gets running.

However, I have a couple of 5/16" tubing runs that lay on the ground across a field that will run much better (and quicker) if I pull them out of the snow before a run.

TerryEspo
03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I spent a bit of time today pulling some lines that snow had covered. I am thinking when sap may run I dont want any frozen lines stopping a tiny bit that may flow from the tap, blockage cant be good !!

Terry