PDA

View Full Version : Two Different Colors Same Sap

TreeTapper2
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
So it's late I have been boiling all day and it is now 10:50 pm. As I stand under my quartz light adding sap into my two pans I notice dark and light sap-syrup. I also noticed the rear pan which gets the hottest is rather burned on the sides with sugar. As I add sap I notice that some burnt sugar disolves into the foam then down into the sap-syrup. This seems to me to be the culpret of darker syrup. I wonder how many of you don't clean your pans until the end of the season. Could this be contributing to darker syrup as the season progresses? Just a thought and observation.

shane hickey
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Yeah thats part of it i clean mine a couple times in season but sometimes there's not enough hours in a day

Russell Lampron
03-20-2013, 05:19 AM
So it's late I have been boiling all day and it is now 10:50 pm. As I stand under my quartz light adding sap into my two pans I notice dark and light sap-syrup. I also noticed the rear pan which gets the hottest is rather burned on the sides with sugar. As I add sap I notice that some burnt sugar disolves into the foam then down into the sap-syrup. This seems to me to be the culpret of darker syrup. I wonder how many of you don't clean your pans until the end of the season. Could this be contributing to darker syrup as the season progresses? Just a thought and observation.

Pics? If the sides of the pan are exposed to too much heat you will get a burn ring around the sides like that. The pans are sealed with a gasket on commercial evaporators so that problem is eliminated.

As the season progresses syrup color will change because the metabolism of the sap changes as the trees come out of dormancy.

TreeTapper2
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Russell,
What kind of gasket and where would one find this material to purchase?

Russell Lampron
03-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Russell,
What kind of gasket and where would one find this material to purchase?

You should be able to purchase it through the Maple Guys. It is called rail gasket. I gotten it at my local supplier and Bascoms.

TreeTapper2
03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks russell