PDA

View Full Version : Business Idea

Asthepotthickens
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
So I had 14 young adults over last weekend, they stayed in our cottage next door and I showed them how syrup was made. Ever since then I have been wondering if some city folks would pay for a weekend stay at our camp, learn the ropes maybe a good feed of syrup induced meals and a camp fire at night? Thoughts?

shane hickey
03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Theres a dairy farm that charges tours to see where milk comes from anything is worth a shot to make a little extra money

TerryEspo
03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
My first thought is LIABILITY.

Double check that your covered for anything and everything. Then go for it !!

Good luck, sounds like fun.

Terry

The Birdman
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I think it would work, there are a few camps around here that have tours and charge a few bucks a person.

PapaSmiff
03-20-2013, 06:59 AM
I can't find the link right now, but I saw a website a couple years ago for someone doing just that. "campers" would spend the day with the sugarmakers - collect sap, filter and bottle syrup, and go home with a pint (or something like that). They were charging a hefty sum IMHO.

I'll try to find it again and post it here.

Zamkev
03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
It's my guess that insurance issues will prevent this fine idea from happening. The cost of liability insurance for a year will make it no longer economically feasible. It would turn it into a full time business (similar to a B&B) which, given the nature of the window for producing maple syrup, is not conducive to full time income.

I have also thought about this idea but have not asked my broker about insurance. I'll watch this thread with interest to see if anyone has a more informed response.

sirsapsalot
03-20-2013, 07:18 AM
I can't find the link right now, but I saw a website a couple years ago for someone doing just that. "campers" would spend the day with the sugarmakers - collect sap, filter and bottle syrup, and go home with a pint (or something like that). They were charging a hefty sum IMHO.

I'll try to find it again and post it here.

This site ? http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/

markct
03-20-2013, 07:18 AM
I wish i could recall who it was but i know theres a guy on this site who does exactly that just not the overnite stay as that gets into a whole nother liability and permit issue. Kinda a pick your own maple farm

Greenwich Maple Man
03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
It's my guess that insurance issues will prevent this fine idea from happening. The cost of liability insurance for a year will make it no longer economically feasible. It would turn it into a full time business (similar to a B&B) which, given the nature of the window for producing maple syrup, is not conducive to full time income.

I have also thought about this idea but have not asked my broker about insurance. I'll watch this thread with interest to see if anyone has a more informed response.

I think ins. would be easy to overcome. Many producers have open house and tours and are covered with ins. that dosn't cost a arm and a leg. You would need to check wth your homeowners ins. company for sure.

Dill
03-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Insurance would be doable, agri tourism is expanding. Just think of it as maple dude ranching.

Zamkev
03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I think ins. would be easy to overcome. Many producers have open house and tours and are covered with ins. that dosn't cost a arm and a leg. You would need to check wth your homeowners ins. company for sure.

I agree about the day visitors - but I suspect the insurance issue is really about the idea of having people stay on your property overnight and creating a "business" out of it.

ennismaple
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Bryan Exley, who runs sugarbush.info, does this - minus the bed and breakfast. It's a make your own syrup and learn how to do it at home experience.

PapaSmiff
03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
This site ? http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/

Yes, that's the one I was referring to.

mathprofdk
03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
I think a day trip of the "pick your own" variety would be really cool. I think you could charge quite a bit for some city folks. I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, and every maple festival here is packed. I'm sure you'd get customers if you have a larger metro area nearby.

MarkL
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Do your research and then DO IT!

Don't let fear of liability and insurance costs scare you. Get the details. I bet it's not as bad as some would have you think. There are plenty of agritourism businesses out there, and the more people spend indoors on computers the more they want their recreation with family and friends to be shared experiences outdoors, doing things in nature. The closer you are to a metro area the easier it will be to gain customers.

Good luck!

MarkL

regor0
04-12-2013, 10:21 AM
youtube just what your looking for. Called "sleeping around the sugar shack"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPleuAXbgzY

happy thoughts
04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
youtube just what your looking for. Called "sleeping around the sugar shack"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPleuAXbgzY

If I ever take a year off from sugaring I know where I'll be spending it. That place looks awesome!