PDA

View Full Version : Help gph on flat pan

hicks road
03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I have a 18"x 48 flat pan and i here people talking about putting sand in the arch on the ramp to close the gap between the pan and the ramp is this a good idea? If so how much of a space should i have. Any comments would be appreciated.

PerryW
03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
On a rig that size, I would probably figure on the first 20-24 inches of the arch should be the firebox and have grates under it. I would want the pan to be 12-16 inches above the grates. After this firebox, I would use sand and bricks to build a ramp and push the fire up against the pan. I would probably allow a space of 3-4" between the top of the ramp and the pan (less with a flue pan). I'm just guessing though.

TerryEspo
03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Hicks:

I have a similiar size pan, a touch longer, but..Was told here by the smart people that the end is what matters.

Depending on your stack pipe size is how much room you leave.

I have a 6" smoke stack, so was told to leave about 1 1/2 at the end of the ramp, if I remember right another 1/2 if I had 7" pipe and etc. if your pipe is 8" you should have about 2 1/2" .

If you have more room than that your wasting heat out the pipe.7454

I left approx. 2" for my 6" smoke pipe and my girl burns great. I get a boil at the back of my pan, 58" is my length.

Good luck and let us know how she goes !!

Terry

Middleton Maples
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Its good to have a ramp but then slope it back down just before u reach the stack. What size smoke stack you got. That depends how small the throat should be.