PDA

View Full Version : sap and syrup totals for Michigan

sugar daddy 1
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
So far we have logged in just over 22,000 gal of sap in. 700 gal syrup made.

spud
03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
So far we have logged in just over 22,000 gal of sap in. 700 gal syrup made.

That is some sweet sap you got there. I have gotten 27,000 gallons of sap so far and I have a 2% average giving me 628 gallons of syrup. Your kicking my butt. Best of luck to you and everyone in your state.

Spud

shane hickey
03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Boiled every bit and made all i can took out 1 48' truck load to Chicago.

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
My signature tells my totals...:cool:

sugar daddy 1
03-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Almost 1/2 of our taps are road trees still running 3% sugar

Butcher
03-20-2013, 06:12 AM
1050 gallons so far on 40000 gallons, should make 2 more barrels today finished roadsides yesterday , the ice slows down collection, I really think we'll make syrup till the middle of april this year, gotta make at least 2000 more gallons.

Tweegs
03-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Collected just over 800 gallons sap and have made just over 16 gallons syrup.
I have a hunch sap production will go into overdrive this weekend through next week.

michiganphil
03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Collected 400 gallons of sap. Have made 9 gallons of syrup.

Tweegs, what do you tap, roadside/woodlot, sugar/red/etc?
I'm just south of Schoolcraft, and I've got about half of your production on 35 roadside buckets. DonMcJr has about 5 1/2 gallons off 41 taps.

Tweegs
03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
We are all woodlot, nothing roadside. Most of the roadsides are being tapped by someone else. I’ve got 2 enormous sugars on my property up along the road, tapped them 3 years in a row, never got much out of them. Didn’t tap them this year because I was low on buckets and had more favorable trees to put them on (tapping my neighbor’s property).

I have 170 taps on gravity tube in one bush that is 90% sugars, 10% silvers, another 30 tap bush on tube that is 100% silvers, and something near 100 taps on buckets that are 100% sugars. There may be some Norway’s mixed in, I’m just now learning the difference. No reds, no blacks.

Probably another 50 silvers here I could have tapped, if I had the buckets for them…next year.

I think more to the point though is that we didn’t get much sap early on. We’re in a lower area and it takes us a little longer to thaw out and get running in comparison to the roadside trees, but we don’t bud out quite as fast either.

There is typically 2 to 3 gallons of syrup in my pans that I won’t get until I drain off my evaporator and finish at the end of the season.

mantispid
03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Hmm.. 330 gallons of sap so far, 6 gallons of syrup. Sounds about right for being all reds. I think I'm a bit shy on my sap estimate.

Roy Coates
03-20-2013, 01:49 PM
80 gallons of sap, 1.5 gallons of syrup (first time) hoping for 400 gallons sap. 30 taps, buckets, homemade arch

whalems
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
38 gallons of syrup so far but its been pretty slow here in the great north! another 14" of snow yesterday! should get better this weekend and all of next week.

5 Oaks
03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
12 taps. maybe 80 gallons of sap. No road side taps here, kids around here would pee in them! I MIGHT end up with 4 gallons. I am a little guy, but it is fun.

Ed R
03-20-2013, 05:48 PM
I've made 10.5 gallons of syrup off of 70-75 taps. I have not tracked my sap volume, but sugar conc started out at 1.25, went up to a high of 1.8 without ice and is now at 1.5.
all red maples and one silver. Trees seem to run really well just alot of boiling, which I dont mind plus I have a bunch of older wood I need to burn. Yard trees are running way better than my woods trees. The family farm bush in mid MI we've made 200 gallons of syrup off of 6000 gallons of sap (alot of ice) 1500 taps. Sugar conc without ice is around 2.7 all sugars, woodlot trees. Hopefully we can get some more consistent weather. Way better than the heat wave of last year, in mi-Mi we'll be making syrup into April.

fishman
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
5 quarts off 50 gallons sap. 12" + snow in the last 36 hours and it's really coming down right now just south of Newberry. Haven't had a drop for over a week. Hopefully it will start on Sunday. We might be making syrup into May the way things are going. I'm pretty sure I will be able to xc ski into May this year.

retubjb
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
3 gal. of syrup off 125 gal. of sap. I don't check concentration, just boil what I get. I missed the first good run cause of teaching hunter's safety, and now I will miss next week because I will be on vacation. Dad says he will boil some for me but I know he will not be able to keep up. At 76 he is just not as spry as he was. Another low budget operation, 37 buckets on roadside size trees, no sap hauler, 2x4 flat pan, cement block arch, but I do have a 10x10 temporary osb enclosure with a door. Sure helps when u boil during snowstorms.

BoarsNest
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
7 gallons of syrup with 2 to 3 to finish. Collected 603 gallons of sap so far and 140,000 ice cubes.

Jonnyp390
03-20-2013, 08:40 PM
120 gallons of sap boiled so far to make just shy of 2 gallons of syrup. 23 taps + 5 more that I put in tonight (hopeful for this next run). I tapped quite early after getting hosed last year. Most of my Taps have been in since mid-february and are still producing. Yard trees are all silvers and my new woods trees are ? Maples. My winter tree identification skills have really dropped off since college :)

fishman
03-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Jonny-just a tip if it has needles don't tap it.

huntingken111
03-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Now 148 taps deep in woods this 4 or 5 day freezes are killing me just thaws out then freezes solid again and seems to take a couple days to thaw but we have collected 540 gallons of sap and a little over 10 gallons of syrup. Hope to get another 20 gallons of syrup made because I could sell that much right now. I have my supply made now I need to make money back so I can spend more on maybe an RO

sugar daddy 1
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I said weeks ago that we would be making syrup into April. I am enjoying the break cutting more wood cleaning the pans starting . The cold will keep the sugar up. Even if you haven't tapped yet still big runs to come. And you guys in the U P don't know how you deal with all that snow , what are some of the latest dates you have made syrup?

michiganphil
03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
I think more to the point though is that we didn’t get much sap early on. We’re in a lower area and it takes us a little longer to thaw out and get running in comparison to the roadside trees, but we don’t bud out quite as fast either.

There is typically 2 to 3 gallons of syrup in my pans that I won’t get until I drain off my evaporator and finish at the end of the season.

I wasn't trying to pick at you, just seemed like your numbers were low compared to some of us.That all makes sense, especially the low land/late budding.
Some of my sugars are already starting to show signs of budding. The good things about upland/roadside are lots of sun and big crowns for good flow & sugar content. The downside is also lots of sun for earlier budding.

Good luck! I hope your sap keeps running for you.

Tweegs
03-21-2013, 10:15 AM
I wasn't trying to pick at you, just seemed like your numbers were low compared to some of us.That all makes sense, especially the low land/late budding.
Some of my sugars are already starting to show signs of budding. The good things about upland/roadside are lots of sun and big crowns for good flow & sugar content. The downside is also lots of sun for earlier budding.

Good luck! I hope your sap keeps running for you.

Oh, I didn’t take it as you were picking on me.
It always seems that I get off to a slow start even when tapping exactly when everyone else does.

Last Monday was a good example. I remember you and Don, I think, mentioned getting at least some sap. My temps here hit exactly 32 degrees and only for a couple of hours. The buckets I checked had about a tablespoon of sap in them. Just the way it goes.

Vacuum next year, gonna give these woods a kick in the pants. :lol:

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Tweegs just out of Curiousity what is you elevation there?

Tweegs
03-22-2013, 07:27 AM
We’re in a bowel here, my property is at 881 ft. Everything in a 5 mile radius is from 5 to 40ft higher.

When the fog settles in it’s both cool and creepy at the same time. Thick enough to cut around the house, clear as can be a mile down the road. Would make a good setting for a horror flick. :lol:

michiganphil
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
It's amazing how variable the weather can be, even a short distance away. I guess it depends on where the wind blows.

sugar daddy 1
03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Talked with a guy from mid Ohio said keep the chainsaws going , he's at1/2 gal per tap. This year could be better than 2011 what we call the season and a half.

Pweideman
03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Heading to the market in the morning to sell my first gallon and a half. Bottled and labeled. 7496

Paul

not_for_sale
03-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Paul,

The wax seal on those bottles looks nice but adds quite a bit of packing expense. How far does a pound of beads get you?

Joe

Pweideman
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Paul,

The wax seal on those bottles looks nice but adds quite a bit of packing expense. How far does a pound of beads get you?

Joe

Joe,

Don't know yet. A lb runs around $12 an I only dipped 12 bottles yesterday. didnt really make much of a dent. If I get 50 bottles that's only $.24 a pack. I use heat shrinkable caps from a wine supplier for the maple leaf bottles. I am hoping the look will attract gift buyers. I charge a bit more for the expensive packaging and $.80 an ounce for syrup.

Paul

Run Forest Run!
03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Paul, those bottles look gorgeous! You won't have to worry about bringing any of them back home from the market.

Butcher
03-23-2013, 06:43 AM
If the extended forecast holds true were all in trouble after this week, I hope they are wrong I need at least two more weeks to make what I need. As of right now im really no farther ahead than last year, we have twice as many taps and twice the syrup. I guess if we made 1000 gal this week it wouldn't be a total disaster but I am definately nervous, I think I need crop insurance so this isn't quite so stressful, anyone know where I can get it and approx what the cost is.

sugar daddy 1
03-23-2013, 07:35 AM
If the extended forecast holds true were all in trouble after this week, I hope they are wrong I need at least two more weeks to make what I need. As of right now im really no farther ahead than last year, we have twice as many taps and twice the syrup. I guess if we made 1000 gal this week it wouldn't be a total disaster but I am definately nervous, I think I need crop insurance so this isn't quite so stressful, anyone know where I can get it and approx what the cost is.

They have been wrong so far. The long range after 5 days goes to what they call " normal" still a lot of snow up north. Just a north wind will keep us cool. The last few days put some frost back in the ground.

Pweideman
03-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Contact the USDA extension office in your area for information.

Pweideman
03-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Paul, those bottles look gorgeous! You won't have to worry about bringing any of them back home from the market.

Sold out in less than an hour. Wish I had more.

Paul

maple man-iac
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm still waiting for the big sap to break loose!

shane hickey
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah I thought it was supposed to be 41 today in my area its only 30

DonMcJr
03-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Accuweather Says it's only 27 F Here... My gravity tube line is thawed out but not much dripping from the trees...

twofer
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Vacuum just kicked on but at this point it is just pulling on frozen trees. **** those weather people for getting my hopes up.

At this point I'm pulling for SD's weather report that we are going to be making syrup into April because this blows not sucking any sap. Someone needs to start a new thread for "Michigan beer and whiskey totals for 2013".

not_for_sale
03-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Paul,

What market did you go to? Is the traffic down this time of the year? Are people looking for syrup? Or mostly impulse buys?

Joe

Pweideman
03-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Paul,

What market did you go to? Is the traffic down this time of the year? Are people looking for syrup? Or mostly impulse buys?

Joe

Joe,

I went to an indoor farmers market in Farmington. Not well attended (to say the least) and the regular shoppers don't spend much. I make and sell organic body care like soaps, lotions, lip balm, shampoos and a lot more. I barely make a profit some days after I pay for diesel to get there and other days I double what I made the week before. So it runs warm to cold but it's the only winter market worth my time. The shoppers that bought syrup new what they wanted and one shopper came to the market looking for syrup. I priced my syrup at $.80 an ounce plus packaging and round down. No one commented on the price they just grabbed bottles and handed me money. I only had 10 bottles to sell so not much of a case study. My regular market is Detroit Eastern Market. I will start there in April. That market draws thousands and is my main market during the summer. I average $600 to $1000 in a day there. The vegetable growers do a few thousand in a day but there is a lot of competition for shoppers there. I have a good base of regulars that shop my tent.

Paul

Pweideman
03-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Vacuum just kicked on but at this point it is just pulling on frozen trees. **** those weather people for getting my hopes up.

At this point I'm pulling for SD's weather report that we are going to be making syrup into April because this blows not sucking any sap. Someone needs to start a new thread for "Michigan beer and whiskey totals for 2013".

You mean Michigan beer and whiskey total drank while waiting for our trees to thaw out. :)

not_for_sale
03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Paul,

Wouldn't it be beneficial to try pricing higher ? Especially if there isn't much competition with bottles that look like they would be a good gift. Crown Maple sells on Amazon at a discount of $16.99 for a 12 oz bottle that does look good but not better than yours.

Joe

Pweideman
03-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Paul,

Wouldn't it be beneficial to try pricing higher ? Especially if there isn't much competition with bottles that look like they would be a good gift. Crown Maple sells on Amazon at a discount of $16.99 for a 12 oz bottle that does look good but not better than yours.

Joe

Yes, I am considering that today because my friends and family feel I am not asking enough. I consider my 12 oz oval to be my value based package. The bottle is less than a dollar and that syrup sold out first. So, my shoppers were looking for syrup to use. The other two bottles cost almost $4 a piece and shoppers bought syrup in those because it's all I had left. I don't know if I will get any gift shoppers but I am still thinking about raising my prices. Frankly, I am a small producer and I won't have much to offer anyway.

Paul

not_for_sale
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Paul,

just wanted to update on the refractometer I am using. It covers sap and syrup up to 85% sugar. It has a battery (9V) and automatic temperature compensation. Pretty handy for sap, syrup, cider and even jelly. ITs not cheap, but its got multiple uses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z4IN58/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B007Z4IN58&link_code=as3&tag=mapletrader-20

Pweideman
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Paul,

just wanted to update on the refractometer I am using. It covers sap and syrup up to 85% sugar. It has a battery (9V) and automatic temperature compensation. Pretty handy for sap, syrup, cider and even jelly. ITs not cheap, but its got multiple uses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z4IN58/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B007Z4IN58&link_code=as3&tag=mapletrader-20

Pretty fantastic looking to me. I just marked and tested 46 of my trees with the refractometer I found on Amazon. It's 0 to 10% and I love how easy it is to use. I just hold it under my taps to get a couple drops of sap. Funny, I was wishing for one tool that can test everything. Thanks for the link. My shopping list for next year is growing.
I am not happy with how long it takes to filter my syrup with the coffee filter system I am using and boiling is a huge time investment. I am thinking about a small RO unit and a press for next year. Just spending my profits on upstart.

Paul

not_for_sale
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Pretty fantastic looking to me. I just marked and tested 46 of my trees with the refractometer I found on Amazon. It's 0 to 10% and I love how easy it is to use. I just hold it under my taps to get a couple drops of sap. Funny, I was wishing for one tool that can test everything. Thanks for the link. My shopping list for next year is growing.
I am not happy with how long it takes to filter my syrup with the coffee filter system I am using and boiling is a huge time investment. I am thinking about a small RO unit and a press for next year. Just spending my profits on upstart.

Paul

I have that same refractometer with the 30% scale - and I use it for my apples and to figure out if the grapes are ready for pressing. I was kinda frustrated when I tried sap with it because its too inaccurate for sap and too low scale for syrup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7ILCW?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B003H7ILCW&linkCode=xm2&tag=httpwwwstratc-20

I assume you are using this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K312Q8?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000K312Q8&linkCode=xm2&tag=mapletrader-20

I have to tell you - i cant imagine boiling raw sap.

My RO was the best thing I did right after I saw that I can built one. 7-9% concentrate goes a whole lot faster. 4 times as fast as with raw sap.

sugar daddy 1
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
We had our last boil yesterday ended up with over 1800 gallons of .
Most we have ever made. As I said before we tapped that we would be making syrup in April
And they still are up north. What a season we had to turn away sap, at one point I had 11,000 gallons of sap on the farm

DonMcJr
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
good job! I ended up with 13 gallons of syrup from 41 taps.

acerrubrum
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
I pulled about 40 taps Sunday and have 9 gallons of syrup. Having mostly Reds in the woods, I don't get numbers like the Sugar Maples. But still real happy with the results, can't wait til next year.
Pat.

shane hickey
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Made over 25% more this year then any other ran out of barrells and now we got more in tranfering it from the bulk tanks to barrlls.

cjric
04-16-2013, 05:38 PM
around 1200 gallons of sap and 25 gallons of syrup. Turned really dark towards the end. Got that from 75 taps.

whalems
04-16-2013, 07:46 PM
What a season! I made 250 gallons on 800 taps 500 that are vacuum. Ran out of firewood! and the sap is still running! I have hauled 3 425 gallon loads of sap to another local producer and have more to deliver tomorrow! Best season ever for me:D

michiganfarmer2
04-22-2013, 05:19 AM
17,000 gallons of sap from 1000 taps. 400 gallons of syrup from those. 50 gallons of syrup from my road trees and from sap from Whelems.

Cake O' Maple
04-23-2013, 12:37 AM
I ended up with 55 taps, and have just over 26 gallons of syrup bottled. Woo hoo!! All are roadside/yard trees.

Plus, I have approx 2 gallons of some stinky syrup still sitting in a bucket in my garage. The sap in that batch was beginning to smell fruity, & got worse as I got to the bottom of the barrel, then the syrup began to stink. Couldn't bear to throw it away, so kept it separate.

I've been thinking I'll try making granulated sugar out of it; I hope what I read about making good sugar from off syrup was right. Contemplated making nuts, as I'd use those faster than maple sugar, but will only lose time and electricity making sugar instead of nuts if it doesn't work...Any input?

JBIV
04-30-2013, 08:01 PM
25 gallons of syrup for me, from 70 taps, my best year.

regor0
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Congratulations everybody on your great seasons! Can't say the same for mine only ended up with 14 gallons off around 170 taps. Most days I only got a cup of sap per tap. It only ran decent 2 days. Still have over a foot of snow in the woods. Looking forward to next year already. I just bought an 800 gallon milk tank, hopefully I'll need it. Looking to buy VACUUM stuff Monday.

Mark
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Congratulations everybody on your great seasons! Can't say the same for mine only ended up with 14 gallons off around 170 taps. Most days I only got a cup of sap per tap. It only ran decent 2 days. Still have over a foot of snow in the woods. Looking forward to next year already. I just bought an 800 gallon milk tank, hopefully I'll need it. Looking to buy VACUUM stuff Monday.

We still have the vacuum on and hope to get a little sap tomorrow.