PDA

View Full Version : Bangor Daily Article

BuckCreek
03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/19/news/penobscot/mainers-finding-illegal-maple-taps-maine-forest-service-says/

Found this on the Bangor Daily website today.

bees1st
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
They said " maple syrup OPERATION " ? operation, looks like someone making a little syrup for home use. It's still theft though.

Shawn
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Like the old days of moon shiners:cool:

JuniperHillSugar
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
This sounds like an advertising opportunity for my Land Surveying business. "Do you know who's trees you are tapping? Is your neighbor tapping your best sugar maples?" I agree, the milk jug is a sure give-away that this operation is run by one of the "Out of State" based sugar making conglomerates.

abbott
03-19-2013, 07:11 PM
If you're going to steal sap, at least tap sugar maples!

OK, I admit it, I've got a couple of trees right on the property line tapped. But I only tap my side of the tree!

MapleOak
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Ask before you tap!!! I read an article from a Vermont sugarmaker and logger who said the scares left from tap holes can actually add value to the wood... which I could remember where the article was...

Revi
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I had someone tap some land I own without talking to me. I didn't mind, but I have found that people will do whatever they can get away with.

abbott
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Ask before you tap!!! I read an article from a Vermont sugarmaker and logger who said the scars left from tap holes can actually add value to the wood... wish I could remember where the article was...

Tap-hole lumber can be valuable, but you have to have the right market and you have to have lots of tap-holes (or stains from them). Just a couple in a log doesn't count. If I ever have a reason for a good maple tree to come down, i'll definitely have the first log milled for my own use.