PDA

View Full Version : Normal year in upstate?

1hardmaple
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Newbie here wondering if this is a normal year in NY as far as the weather has been? Or are we going to be going into overtime......even with this nasty weather I'm still seeing trees starting to bud up I'm still hoping to get another run but my taps haven't ran in about 2 weeks and tapped 4 weeks ago.

bowtie
03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
not sure there is a normal anymore. kind of, take what nature gives.

sugarman3
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
This is "WHAT" use to be considered a normal season-MARCH15-APRIL 15,had a season like this 3 yrs ago.Hang in there it will happen,but be ready,it will be fast and furious and over before yu know it
vern

Dan Bolton
03-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah it's definatley hard to describe what a normal season is anymore! Take last year for example! We hit 80 degrees here last week of last year plus it was a massive warm up and it ended it. We were done boiling all the tap's pulled and cleaned up by March 18:cry:. We have already made more syrup then last year. It has got to warm up some time. I would have to say it's colder then average for this time of year but i would rather it warm slow unlike last year. Good luck to all.

bowtie
03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
an old-time march 15th- april 15 th would be ok but this year according to forecasts i will not get any sort of run from last friday until at the earliest the 29th-30th maybe later. so if it going to go it is going to very compact. i just have a hard time believing the maples will not pop buds as soon as we get a "warm up". i know some of you guys are having decent years but this is terrible for anybody in the southern tier or ne pa. even with a good last two weeks of the season i am going to hard pressed to equal last year and i have twice as many taps out. oh well, it is what it is!

Rugburn
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Winter is really hanging in there. With the recent cold it was a good chance for me to catch up on things. Now Bring it! Nice and gradual please. We may have the best 3 weeks ahead, I hope.

130 Buckets
2x6 Grimm

West Mountain Maple
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
no run for over a week now and heres my 10 day- 30/19, 32/19, 34/21 ,34/19, 34/21, 32/19, 32/27, 36/21, 36/21, 36/30.
Maybe APRIL?? Longest but worst season ever?? I set a few taps Jan 6th, I wish i could tell you if they were still running well. Only a few fairly good runs here so far, and lots of trickling along the way. Making syrup jan thru april wouldn't be too bad if it actually ran. I see alot of redness on the trees, can't believe the buddiness will hold back too long with the weird warmth we had in jan/feb. I think there is ALOT more sap to come, hopefully makes good syrup.

SPILEDRIVER
03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
i actually got a couple small runs this week and will be boiling in the morning.....my forcast looks great starting sun threw the next 10 days...if it holds true mine will run 8 of the next 10 days!!!

maplehillbros7179
03-22-2013, 06:22 PM
it is extremly slow right now and its cold enough to where the trees cant bud, all it means right now is that its prob going to be runnin into april. better than 70 like last year