PDA

View Full Version : dark syrup

ihuntbear
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a 2x6 dom and grim cross flow flat pans..why does my syrup seem dark..First run took a lot to sweeten the pans.then I was able to start drawing off about 1/2 gallon every 45 minute but the syrup looks darker then amber..has a redish color to it.i filter twice in three cone filters inside of each other.Clean them in hot water after each filtering.i bottle in one liter mason jars..I notice a lot of sugar sand in my pans so drained my pans into a filter and save the sweet.I took it apart and cleaned ,put it back together added the sweetness back in then boiled off ..still the syrup looks dark to me ,almost as dark as the aunt jamima syrup u see in the store...what am I doing wrong...the level in the pans are set at 1 1/2 "

TunbridgeDave
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
What is your sap testing? Is it nice and clear, or has it sat for a few days?

shane hickey
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Has the sap sat around very long? Was everything clean when you started? How deep are you boiling it. I have notice there is alot of sygar sap this season i still have light looking syrup. These are dome of things i can come up with

ihuntbear
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
sap Is good and clear..boiled same day or next day..ice in the holding tanks most days..yes everything was cleaned before firing up..boiling with 1 1/2" of sap in pans..sap is at 3%

psparr
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I was making light for the first couple weeks. Then all of a sudden it turned exactly as your describing. Not a slow progression. Just BAM!