PDA

View Full Version : Storage tank question

striker3636
03-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Most of the storage tanks I've seen seem to be all open-topped, is there a reason for this? I would think that enclosed would be better?

Jeff E
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
I think this has to do with ease of cleaning. Once you get the sap out of a storage tank, it should be cleaned.
I have both open and closed, and the open stainless is much easier to clean that closed poly tanks. I pressure wash and scrub mine after each boil.
If I dont, late season, when it warms up, little growths of goobers show up. Keep it Clean!

jasonl6
03-19-2013, 08:57 AM
I have a 400 gallon zero tank. I hate cleaning it through the 3 manhole covers in the top. I prefer the tanks with a lid that i can lift up or take off. All my tanks have some type of lid though. Helps allot with keeping bugs and debris out of the sap.

Jason

Burnt sap
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Most of the big boys around here use open tanks too they filter the sap when they pump into the travel tanks or tankers. so I guess the bugs and stuff don't matter.

Bruce L
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Our storage tank is an 800 gallon open tank from what used to be Waterloo Small,easy to wash out during and after the season with a tank brush,then I cover it with a frame and polyfilm over the summer.

PerryW
03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Open topped tanks with a tight-fitting hinged cover (like milk tanks) are the best of both worlds. They keep the debris out but are still easy to clean.

Maplewalnut
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Most of the storage tanks I've seen seem to be all open-topped, is there a reason for this? I would think that enclosed would be better?

Price!!!!! You would be paying a lot more for a new 'maple tank' with covers then an open top. A lot of producers have tanks within building anyway with mains running right thru the walls, no rain water and bugs etc are minimal....
I agree flat top milk tanks with covers are the best for outside but the covers tend to be snatched up by scrapers if they see them

wiam
03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I think the sap heats up more in a closed top outside

The Sweet Spot
03-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Hey William I'll let ya know about that heating up thing. I have a 1000 gal tank that is over 3/4 full and froozen solid. I'm hoping it will thaw this weekend. I was thinking about opening the lids to let more warm air inside?

markct
03-20-2013, 10:22 PM
I disagree with sap heating up more, my zero tanks are always the last tanks to thaw there ice out of them, often when its been warm for a few days there are still pieces floating in there!

ennismaple
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I disagree with sap heating up more, my zero tanks are always the last tanks to thaw there ice out of them, often when its been warm for a few days there are still pieces floating in there!

Open top tanks are easy to clean and don't hold as much residual heat. Sap can come out of the lines rather warm on sunny days - I've heard of 60 F (but haven't measured myself). When we take the lid off our Zero tank you can feel the warmth in there - which accelerates bacteria growth, resulting in darker syrup. Once they're frozen they will thaw slower too

Anyone whose ended up on their back while hunched over trying to wash a 500 gallon Zero tank will tell you that they're a PITA. Washing them from outside the tank with a mop is no more fun - especially when you drop the mop! We've gotten rid of all but one of our Zeros over the last 4 years. Open tops with a releaser in a building are the only way to go for us now!