PDA

View Full Version : gasket between pan and firebox

Chemist
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a new 2 by 3 foot stainless steel pan to put on the 2 by 3 foot firebox I made. I am wondering what I can use as a gasket between the pan and the firebox. How much will something two by three feet likely cost?

Rob Harvey
06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
The gasket we use just goes around the perimeter of the pan. We get it from Leader (I am sure MapleGuys have it) it is about a 1/2" thick and 2" wide. I believe it comes in 25' rolls. Rob

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
You can buy a 2' x 25' roll of ceramic blanket off of ebay for a little more than the price of the 1" roll and you can cut strips for pan gaskets from it for many years and in the long run will only cost about 10% as much. :D

Sugarmaker
06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Chemist,
You can try it with no gasket and it will work fine also, you just loose a little heat.
I use 1/2 inch fire door gasket rope from local wood stove dealer.
Regards,
Chris

Fred Henderson
06-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Fiberglass household insulation with work very good also. When sandwiched betwen the pan and rail it will never get hot enough to even scorch.

Chemist
06-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks for your help regarding the gasket, pan and firebox.

This is my third year of syruping and I am now heading into next year expecting to be able to cook 5-7 gallons per hour with the 2 by 3 foot stove.

I love to fish (I guide in summer) and I love to make syrup. I have to say that every syrup maker I have talked to has been friendly, informative and helpful. I have not seen the same with fishermen.

I am really thankful to Russ Berg who put me onto this site after our Cub Scout outing in January. I look forward to staying in touch with this board for years to come.