PDA

View Full Version : Batch 4 is Done!

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Well I just got done Boiling on the Turkey Fryer and Filtering/Bottling the Sweet that was in my Evap Pan because I want to clean it out it's getting too dirty for my liking!

Ended up with 2 gallons 32 oz for a Season Total of 5 Gallons 68 oz !

Here's Batch 4...

spud
03-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Hey Don what are you talking about (season total)? You got more sugaring to go don't you? I thought you guy's had another 2-3 weeks.

Spud

Sengelaub Farms
03-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Sweet! Nice job!

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Season Total SO FAR!!! LOL! I'm not done unless the trees are done!

Run Forest Run!
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Another great batch Don. I wish the trees would stop teasing us up here!

TerryEspo
03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Looks great DonJR.

Fast question.... How do you keep it all to yourself ?

Most of my little bottles are gone to anyone who has been over to visit.

Give me tips on how to keep my syrup with me, so I can take pics of my running total,,,,LOL.

Great job.

Terry

Asthepotthickens
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Good work Donjr. I like to finish on propane but my wife never lets me she would rather see me sweat it out with an inch in the bottom of the pan. :confused:

MapleLady
03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Looks good! You've had a great season so far and still a bit to go! The trees have been stingy up here this week!

jrgagne99
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Looks like you're making enough that you need to start rounding off a bit... :)

Otherwise, its like when someone asks how old your son is, and you reply- "My son is six years, 3 months, and 12 days."

sirsapsalot
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Otherwise, its like when someone asks how old your son is, and you reply- "My son is six years, 3 months, and 12 days."

That is a classic. lol

ihuntbear
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
:confused:is that the same grade of syrup you have been getting or is it just look dark in the pic???? Reason I ask is I just started a threat on dark syrup but mine is roughly the same grade as yours..maybe I just think mine looked dark:confused:

325abn
03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
How much boil time and fuel do you have into the 5 Gal?

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 03:43 PM

...you forgot the 13 hours, 25 minutes and 32 seconds...no 38 seconds... LOL!

I keep a log book and try to track exactly how much sap I get and Syrup I get. Even was going to try to track sap by tree but that's not happening lol! They are all about the same and I just make note of the better flowing trees. I am already rounding off a tad bit...

Terry... My plan is to take 12 Twelve oz Glass Bottles and hide them from public view. Then when what in public view is gone I know if I did into my stash I'll be out again before next Season Starts.

Hours and Fuel? About (lol) 1 1/2 Cords of Wood, maybe 5 lbs of Propane. Hours counting the log splitting? Maybe 60 Hours oh wait bottling?finishing 4 Times...72... Ok probally a good 80 Hours total...LOL!

Here's Batch 1 on the left, Batch 2/3 Middle and Batch 4 Right.

bowhunter
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Don,

Syrup looks great. I had a question on a slightly different topic. I'm going to change the routing on my stack next year and I'm thinking about running out the wall behind the evaporator and up the outside of my barn. Right now I have it routed up through a window with a couple of 45's. I had a good draft with that set up but I want to make it more permanent. I can't remember seeing on your videos how your stack is routed. I'm only planning to have one 90 and then straight up, but I need about one horizontal section to get out through the wall.

Thanks,

Dave

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
That's how mine is Dave... goes up to abot 6 foot then a 90 and outside then up again to above the roof peak.

Actually my two 90s are tees with a cleanout cap on the bottom.

325abn
03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Syrup looks great man.

"Sappin aint easy! "

beefmaster
03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Very Nice Don!
Glad you are getting some made. Not much happening here in west central wi, but we enjoy seeing your progress, it helps keep our hopes up that soon it will be flowing here as well!
Thanks for the happy hopefulness!!!!!
Brad

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Nice work Don,

Feels good to have the "Gold Rush"! The trees here have been locked up for a week and a half. Upta 18" of snow tonight!!!, that will be fun in the morning!

DonMcJr
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks Everyone!

My trees have been locked up since Sunday and will be locked up until Friday at least. I'm all caught up with only 22 frozen gallons of sap in storage. Pan is gonna be cleaned when it warms up Friday/Saturday so I can start fresh with the next run!

sbingham
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Don,
Your syrup looks great.
I read quite a few of your posts from last year, looks liek you have it figured out.
I also like to finish on propane, feel much more comfortable being able to control the heat.
We are "patiently" waiting here in NW Wisconsin, I tapped about 1/4 of my trees two weeks ago and plan to do the rest this weekend.
Hopefully by Easter weekend we will have some sap flowing.
Good Luck on the rest of your season.

DonMcJr
03-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks and Good Luck to everyone too!

bowhunter
03-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Don,

Thanks. Good luck with your surgery. I had my right hip replaced last May so I know how it feels being in pain and waiting for the surgery. The surgery went great and I'm really happy I had it done. Wish I had it done earlier. I'm sure your surgery will go fine. These orthopedic surgeons do some pretty spectacular things today.

Dave