PDA

View Full Version : Cold again

Mapler Jim
03-19-2013, 02:22 AM
We had a small run today and I figured I'd pick it up tomorrow. Not. I see the temps are going to be below freezing for the next 3 or 4 days. I should have gotten it today, it will be solid till then. At least it shouldn't spoil.

TreeTapper2
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
How's it goin Jim. Have you been able to collect much sap? It seems we get short little spurts but nothing big.
I'm boiling today...brrrrrr. but I need to get it done. I have about 100 gallons to do.

Run Forest Run!
03-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Jim, you seem to be having the same crazy weather that we have been having. Nothing but short bursts of sap and then days of waiting. At least there is no excuse for us to be having dirty equipment lying around. I'm still waiting for the flood gates to open.

Mapler Jim
03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
With 13 taps I have only 11 gallons of sap. Got a quart of good light syrup though. Probably have 2 gallons of sap frozen in the buckets at this time. If the warm up at the end of the week doesn't start a real good run I will be behind last years miserable year !!

Keep warm....... hope for a good run.

Roger Taylor
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Single digits the last few nights in McHenry Co. A little over ten gallons of syrup made and the wood supply is nearly gone. Good quality syrup this year and am considering pulling my equipment off the trees. Our daughter is expecting her first baby and we are waiting for the call. I have been keeping things in the garage the last week or so, just so it won't become frozen solid. Stay warm, N. Illinois

quit yesterday as wood ran out, pulled all taps, boiled last of syrup, started to clean up and put things away for next spring. As of now, 11.8 gallons of syrup, have 4 or 5 gallons of unfinished sap to finish from my evaporator. Has been a good spring, nice colored syrup, I am very pleased. Now, I have to try and sell most of it!! Later

Mapler Jim
03-25-2013, 02:15 AM
It's about time. Up to this time the only taps that were running were on the south side of the tree. Which was why I got so little sap. Two days ago it was still the same but I got 2 gallons of sap. Today the east side ones are also running so I got 4 gallons. With the warmer highs and the warm wind I hope that all of them will start running and get me up into the 10 or 15 gal a day runs. Should have a good week or so to go. I see that some of you guys have been doing fairly well so far. In the next week you should really be doing great.

TreeTapper2
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Jim,
I hope you got some sap.
Yesterday and through the night was good. We ended up with 42 gallons.
With the low only getting to 32 the trees keep flowing all night. Some as high as 2.5 gallons per tap.
Need to boil bad. I have 112 gallons of sap on hand and running out of barrel room.

katmike
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Central IL here. I collected so much sap yesterday I had to take an "emergency sap day" off work today. When I went to check on my buckets after work yesterday it wasn't even 40 degrees yet so I didn't expect much. Boy was I wrong. Record haul for me and took multiple trips to collect it all. I expect today might be just as good. Hope I can keep up!

TreeTapper2
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
An "Emergency Sap Day" surely the boss understood. These are rare special days that must be honored.
One must never lose any sap because of work.

Mapler Jim
04-02-2013, 01:47 AM
I wonder what a boss would say about an "emergency sap day off". Being retired really sucks. I can't take a day "off".

TreeTapper2
04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
How's everyone in Illinois doing? I just pulled 9 taps. Buds broke between yesterday and today on my silver maples. The other silvers I expect to open up today with high in the 60's. Forecast for us shows no more freezing temps so my season is done after today. It's a bitter sweet feeling. I like making the syrup but need to get on with other pressing things.......you know what I mean.

katmike
04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Probably going to do my last collection today. I've never been doing this in April, but I never waited so late to tap too. I did make nearly twice as much as normal.

Bitter sweet is a good description. High school baseball is the next priority in our household!