PDA

View Full Version : What Maples to tap?

SugarHi
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi, first time trying to make Maple syrup and first time on this site. My wife and I recently purchased a home near Buffalo N.Y. with forty acres. Last week someone told me they were boiling some sap so I figured why not since I'm trying to get my woodlots full potential out of it. We made some homemade spiles and collected 17 gallons in three days on 6 sugar maple trees. Boiled it down on the turkey fryer and it taste great. so the questions begin. I have a thousand silver and red maples and about 40 sugar maples. Should I just stick with the sugar Maples if I'm only going to produce 1 to 2 gallons of syrup a year? Do you tap these same trees year after year or rotate the trees? Thanks for your time, looking forward to this!!! Bryan

chicken123
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
You can tap the slivers and red. Most of my trees are slivers or reds and I tap them all. I do find that some years the reds and silvers will produce hardly any sap and other years they will produce just as much as the sugars. Also, you can tap the same trees year after year.

SPILEDRIVER
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
if all you want is a few for your use just stick to the sugars....but you can tap the silvers and reds as well

lyford
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey Bryan, I'm located not far from you in Hamburg, NY. I only tap reds b/c on my 5 acres thats all I have for maples. The syrup is awesome from the reds. I know my uncle has always mixed reds with sugars, he says it gives the syrup better flavor. Enjoy yourself and good luck! justin