PDA

View Full Version : A Chippewa Indian Legend

hfitch
03-17-2013, 07:46 PM
From Betty Sodders, Woods-N-Water news

Ancient American Indian lore relates: A spirit Manitou named Man-a-boz-o, brought the gift of sugar to the Great Lakes Region. Legend states that he tapped a maple tree from which directly flowed the finest maple syrup. He offered a taste to his old grandmother, who declared it a delicious treat. In turn, she suggested he pass this secret on to man. Man-a-boz-o deemed man to be lazy and in due course decided to thin the sap so man would have to work to produce syrup. The Manitou proceeded to climb the tallest pine tree in the forest, from which he cast water over all the maples in the north country. The water caused a thinning of the sap and from that day forward, the "sweetwater" required boiling to evaporate the water content.

DonMcJr
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
That's where I get the addiction from... I have a bit of Chippewa Indian in me!

Run Forest Run!
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=hfitch;215704] A spirit Manitou named Man-a-boz-o[QUOTE]

Man-a-bozo? That's too funny. Now we know where Bozo the Clown may have gotten his name. The natives had everything figured out, even then.

hfitch
03-17-2013, 11:05 PM
lol!!!! I thought the same thing when I read it about bozo the clown!! Don...it could very well be! Since you are part Indian, could you possibly climb a tall pine and take that water back?!?

DonMcJr
03-18-2013, 03:02 AM
My neighbor across the street has a really Tall Pine...hmmm...

How!?

hfitch
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
LOL!!!!! Start climbing....

DonMcJr
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Did it work? I'm too tired to check my buckets!!!

hfitch
03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
no sap today, I'll have to wait until it flows again, Fingers crossed!!