PDA

View Full Version : Maple Sunday

abbott
03-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Who's going to be open for visitors next Sunday? In particular, in Oxford county or nearby. Unless i'm swamped with sap I like to get out and see some other operations, large or small. That being said, i'm open for visitors on Saturday if anyone wants to come my way. I'm out in the boonies and I don't really advertise, so just friends and family mostly.

JuniperHillSugar
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
WeŽll be open again this year on Sunday March 24, from Noon to 5. We'll have farm tours to meet the dairy goats, hens or to visit our small greenhouse. We don't advertise much so there is usually time to sit and watch or talk if you like. We are located at 693 West Road, Bowdoin, Maine.

western mainer
03-18-2013, 05:28 AM
We are open on Sunday, Were at 29 Dunham Road in Greenwood.
Brian

mike first timer
03-18-2013, 05:45 AM
i dont open specifically for maple sunday but if i am at the sap house anybody is welcome to stop by. I am right in jay on rt 133. Hopefully we have a good run this weekend. I got everything cleaned yesterday now just need some sap.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I'll be at the sugar-house hopefully boiling, looking at the forecast it has a chance to run starting Thurs. through the weekend. There's still a lot of work to do at the shack without having sap, the retail room isn't finished yet, but I'll put out what products we have on a table. I didn't plan on this years Maple Sunday, because I knew that we still had a bunch of things to do. If anyone is in the area please feel free to stop in, it would be great to meet some other producers. The address is 247 Cider Hill Rd. Exeter, Maine.

MainelyMaple
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I'll be open sat and Sunday in Auburn. 350 Old Danville rd

maineboiler
03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
I'll be boiling and plan to have friends over for some sweet treats. If you would like to see the operation please come on by. It's small scale and I am learning the ins and outs of this but having fun. 37 Black Island Rd, Oxford

gmcooper
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
We will be open Sunday the 24th for our 25th year participating in Maine Maple Sunday. We are open 9-5 with pancake breakfast from 9-2. 81 Chute Road Windham. If the weather is decent we usually have 2-3,000 visitors.

twitch
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
i will be open i am on the east hebron rd in turner were abouts are you in sumner thats really not to far from me maybe I would drop by on saturday if i get a chance visiting sugar houses is a good way to learn new things.

Who's going to be open for visitors next Sunday? In particular, in Oxford county or nearby. Unless i'm swamped with sap I like to get out and see some other operations, large or small. That being said, i'm open for visitors on Saturday if anyone wants to come my way. I'm out in the boonies and I don't really advertise, so just friends and family mostly.

abbott
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
i will be open i am on the east hebron rd in turner were abouts are you in sumner thats really not to far from me maybe I would drop by on saturday if i get a chance visiting sugar houses is a good way to learn new things.

go to 424 Bradeen Rd (end of the road.) From there it's about 1/2 mile walk east down the hill to the sap house (there will be a sign, just follow the tractor road!)

East Hebron rd. goes from 117 to East Hebron Baptist Church, right?

JuniperHillSugar
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I like what I hear, a whole group of folks that love to share their experience in order to inspire others. "If there is steam coming out, then feel free to stop in." Good luck everyone.

twitch
03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
yes that is the road 303 is my box number long drive way goes down in the woods

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
My class has been making syrup for three years now. There are so many things to learn about when tapping trees. Science, math, nature observation, liquid conversions, reading a thermometer, graphing weather patterns, building fires, chopping wood and finding tracks in the snow. This will be our first year in Maine Maple Sunday- we have no shack YET but the kids do most of the work...feel free to stop by and a lend a hand collecting sap or just to say HI to 18 kids that have worked hard to make their syrup.

The Riley School

boondocker
03-22-2013, 05:45 AM
I still havent had any good runs yet and im worried that i will be boiling water on sunday. Anybody else in the same boat as me? Kinda stinks for my first maine maple sunday in my new sugar house with my new evaporator but i guess mother nature wants to work this way.

sg5054
03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
227 Indian Rd. in Wiscasset. We will be out there 10 - 5 roughly. Visitors are welcome. Collected 50 gallons last night and bailed half a 50 gallon barrel of ice out of the sap tank. Had to take a 3 lb plastic hammer and beat on the tank a bit to free it from the sides.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
In the same boat as Boondocker, or the rest of the sugar-makers throughout the state! We collected 275 gals. this afternoon and still running strong! I will save this for Sunday, but need another 1,300 gals. to run all day! hopefully the woods will start running tomorrow at some point! Heading out early in the AM to take care of loose lines and look for problems.

Best to all, and have a great weekend!

Shawn

abbott
03-22-2013, 07:29 PM
roughly 300 gallons of sap today, so that's what I have to start with tomorrow. Unless the sap starts running hard early I will wait until late morning to start boiling.

good luck to everyone this weekend!

JuniperHillSugar
03-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Cleaned barn on Friday, need to clean sugar house again today. Setting up displays and getting ready. Best of luck to all the sugar makers tomorrow.

Sap hydrometer $13. Hobby evaporator $1200. Having real sap to boil on Maine Maple Sunday, priceless.

We'll be open 12-5, 693 West Road, Bowdoin, Me. Reuben & Angela Wheeler

Revi
03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
It was fun. I started out by visiting 3 other sugarhouses before they got going. I visited Linwood Acres, Maple Leaf Farm and Tessier's farm and then headed to our sugarhouse to get things going. It was a great day, with people coming in and out all day. We collected the buckets about 5 times, and everyone had fun. Thanks to my business partner's family it was a bit hectic, but manageable. We had people in and out all day. All in all a fun day!

abbott
03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice to meet some other traders today. In all, I and my little family stopped at 5 sugarhouses. We went by slattery's, but it was way too crazy to stop there. We prefer the smaller operations anyway (sorry Joni.)

gmcooper
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Hope everyone had a successfull Maple Sunday! We had our biggest crowd ever today. We ran out of product during the afternoon. Felt bad that many wanted to buy and we didn't have anything left by then.

western mainer
03-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks to every one for stopping bye! Had a great day, great turn out. Had a nice talk with Steve.
Brian

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
03-25-2013, 07:20 AM
This was our first year for Maine Maple Sunday and we are not an "operation" at all- just a elementary school that made 5 gallons of syrup. We were hoping for a few visitors on Sunday, to our surprise there were over 300 people that came to check us out. There were children everywhere and families everywhere! I hope everyone who came had a great day, got to eat pancakes, maple cookies, maple roasted root veggies, and maple walnut bread- all made by the Lower School. Thanks for visiting.

and the pails are full again,
Todd

JuniperHillSugar
03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Had a good crowd for our little operation. Lots of friends, a few traders and some aspiring sugar makers. Thanks for visiting. We plan of visiting our sugar making friends in the next few days.