PDA

View Full Version : Season called for bear damage

njburg
03-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Went out to collect sap yesterday and found one mainline torn up, some laterals tore down and one collection tank knocked over and bitten.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
That stinks. I've heard there are a lot of Black Bear in NJ and they are protected from hunting. For me, this year I have more damage to my lines from bears than I do from squirrels. They have made a come back in VT and like to chew on tubing.

wnybassman
03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Coulda been a squatch 7422

PerryW
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Maple syrup is great on bear meat.

DonMcJr
03-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Coulda been a squatch 7422

Yep I'd call the BFRO Guys and see if you can get on Finding Bigfoot!:lol: I actually hope Bigfoot is real but am waiting for real proof to believe it 100%...

Wonder if you can spray pepper spray on the lines and around your tanks or something else to deter them?

stoweski
03-17-2013, 08:28 PM
I agree. Where there's maple tubing you'll find squatch! :lol:

shane hickey
03-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Sure glad that isnt my problem i have a hard enough time with squirrels

wnybassman
03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I agree. Where there's maple tubing you'll find squatch! :lol:

It's gotta be putting in all those taps. They're attracted to knocking you know! :cool:

Seriously though, couldn't imagine having bears messing with my stuff. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Greenwich Maple Man
03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Maple syrup is great on bear meat.

Very well said.

DonMcJr
03-18-2013, 03:27 AM
It's gotta be putting in all those taps. They're attracted to knocking you know! :cool:

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

red maples
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
you can hunt them in NJ I know they have a season. My family lives down there and they have a HUGE problem with bears. they put up a stink a few years back but you can hunt them now.

sugarman3
03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Not alone had one in my sugarbush last fall chew on mainline,now it seems he woke up the last warm spell and chewed again,next warm spell i'll be watching for him,season or not,i have 30-06 bear deterent,syrup is good on bear meat:mrgreen:

njburg
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
The bears here are unbelievable. When I put up the tubing last year, it wasn’t up 1 week and they were chewing it up. When I called Fish & Game, the first guy I talked to must have thought I was pulling his leg and the next one told me to use ammonia. I tried to explain that I had 600 feet of main line plus laterals, but he just couldn’t get it and keep telling me that it worked for garbage cans. After some thought I just carried the zombie killer with me all weekend.

Mark
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
When I put up new mainlines I insulate at the end trees and make sure the side ties are also insulated. I put an electric fencer on them and that took care of the bear damage. They don't seem to bother the 5/16 or they just learn a lesson on the mainline and don't bother the rest.

Galena
03-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Electric fencing sounds good as per suggestions here - damp bear nose + voltage = ahh! But if that doesn't work, well I hear bear meat is a little on the greasy side and you have to cook it real good, like pork, to avoid getting trichinosis (which you also get from undercooked pork). Hmm could there be a link between bears and pigs?

Anyway please be careful and good luck!