PDA

View Full Version : Maple or not?

das fisch
03-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Is this a sugar or some other type of tree? Usually hey are marked previous to the season but this is a newly acquired spot.

happy thoughts
03-16-2013, 06:39 AM
It looks like sugar maple bark to me but you'll get a much better ID if you can also look at the twigs and buds and maybe post a pic. All maples have opposite branches/buds.

cpmaple
03-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Hard telling in that pic but to me it looks like a hickory. I have many on my property and young trees of hickory look like that just my two cents. But pics can be deceaving.(sp) but like stated look at the limbs they are usually opposit of each other and a hickory has a very tight limbs and not to many down low most at the crown of the tree.

lakeview maple
03-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Looks alot like a shag bark hickory

heus
03-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Yes shagbark hickory.

wiam
03-16-2013, 07:24 AM
I vote hickory based on the picture

happy thoughts
03-16-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't know. It could be hickory but my own shagbarks have bark that is much more peeled and curled. Definitely look at the twigs and branches. On maples these will be opposite. Hickory will be alternate. Here's a sugar maple id page from the cornell website
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/kids/tree_sug.htm

and one for shagbark hickory from the U of MN

http://www.mntca.org/carya-ovata-shagbark-hickory-id-card/

Again, if you can post a picture of small branches and twigs where the buds can be seen, ID will be much easier.

das fisch
03-16-2013, 07:39 AM
I'll be back put there later today and look at the branches. There are hickory a on the lower hillside which have a much more exaggerated bark texture and as you rise up the hillside these start to take over.
Might pop a few holes as well on the sunny side to see how moist it is as well.
Thanks I'll post back lTer

allgreenmaple
03-16-2013, 10:32 AM
You are correct, that is shagbark hickory. Smoothbark hickory would not have the bark hanging off like that...

treehugger
03-16-2013, 12:25 PM
No question about it, shagbark hickory. Im using some this year in my evaporator. One of the highest btu woods out there.