PDA

View Full Version : no sap

slammer3364
03-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Wow rough year thus far put in 90 taps Feb 21 and have collected about 65 gals. of sap. Iam located in St. Marys Pa,next week looks no better. Anyone else having any probs in this area

John c
03-16-2013, 08:50 AM
I am in Broome county, NY and put in 15 taps a few weeks ago and Im lucky if I have 15 gallons of sap. It just won't run for me this year! I have about 25 more taps that I can put in, but I think I'll hold off till the weather seems to be right. I feel your pain!
I wish you the best of runs to come.

PACMAN
03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I hear ya, I tapped February 23 with 400 taps on gravity. I got 170 gallons last Monday and thats all I got. Its just been too cold. I am inthe northern adirondacks in Franklin county N.Y. mid 20s during the day and teens and single digets at night.The weather report dosnt show decent weather till next thursday for up here. Im tired of waiting, I want to light the fires.lol

Z/MAN
03-16-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm in N.E. Pa. 68 taps and only 6 gallons so far. Temps have been missing me by few degrees every day!

newmod
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Here in North Central Ohio. I finally put out 18 taps. 80 gallons in four days

Greenwich Maple Man
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
We are foothills of the ADKS. I would say we are around quarter crop so far. Weather looks colder for this coming week as well. Outlook on the forecast looks good as of now. Have had a couple real good hard runs but feel the best is yet to come.

highlandcattle
03-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Join the crowd. we are all set, just 2 good runs, about 12 gallons of syrup so far, ugh.... just checked NOAA weather, big storm coming and more cold, both woodstoves going., high winds, good for our power with the windmills, but not being outside!

lakeview maple
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I havent had a run since last Sunday, around 4pm it shut off.Im down at the sugarhouse and a friend comes over with 200 gallons he doesnt have time to boil,we start pumping it into the main tank and I see the sap running in off of the mainline.I was checking earlier and there was nothing I guess a couple more hours in the sun brngs a nice little run to add to the 200 gal donation.Thanks again Alan L for the sap.Al

seclark
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I tapped Feb.27th and only collected 40 gallons so far.Today was my first boil,I wanted to wait for more but with these temps.I thought I might as well boil now,who knows at this point when it will start again.I have more taps to install also but the way it's been running I held off.If and when it starts up again I will finish tapping.This weather beats last year's but what a pain.:cry:

trees909
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I put in 40 taps this year in central New Hampshire. We've made 8 gallons so far and looking forward to more. But in the past week the buckets have been nearly empty. The nights have all been below freezing (except for 1 night) and the days have ranged from 34 - 38. I'm bit confused by the little sap run.

jpcole
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
I've collected about 250 gallons of sap since February 10th and made just over 6 gallons of syrup so far. This week doesn't look good for sap again. I will guarantee there will be great run next week since I am going Maine and won't be home to boil. Last year I was done and cleaned up by now.:D

crawflyer
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
just 5 more lousy degrees..is that too much to ask for?

Galena
03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Wouldn't you know it, dang near a perfect nice cold traditional Canadian winter for thems of us north of the border...and apart from a couple good runs, and some mighty interesting syrup (vanilla/marshmallow anyone?) zilch!!! Either this year's season will run into mid-April, possibly later, or simply won't do anything. Frustrating.

Greenwich Maple Man
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking that March is going to be what Feb. usualy is and April is going to be what March usualy is. Just a guess though.

bowtie
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
i know i sound like a broken record but here is my total so far 300 taps around 350 gallons of sap and 5 1/2 gallons of finished sap. i messed up one batch, and have thrown out some ice. i have about 20 gallons of sap/ice in head tank. i have only collected 4 times on the hill. 40,150,60,50 ihave collected about 50 gallons froom my 10 yard taps. crazy,crazy year. if i had an extra 5 degrees on the hill i would be having a decent year but so far not to be.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Here in Maine, we are looking at Maine Maple Sunday coming up this weekend. So far we have boiled down a bit over a 1,000 gals, and nine gals. of light amber on the shelves. The lines are frozen, the tanks are dry and the people are coming!! What will happen??? I'm hoping for a big run after this storm passes, forecast is cold nights and highs in the 30's, low 40's after Thurs., if you can believe the forecasters! I've had the help from a veteran sugar-maker with over fifty years of experience, and he told me after this storm, things are going to happen! To all, I feel the pain! Let's get this party started!

Best to all, and have fun!

Shawn

lafite
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
unfortunately for me I've been unable to process a ton of sap due to working/traveling. I had my best year ever and the sap won't stop flowing! Winter in southern CT won't stop and it's snowing as I type this. one year ago today it was in the 70's.

What a difference one year makes. I'm guessing I could have processed another 5 gallons of finished syrup if I wasn't a one man show..

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Lafite,

I think we've all been there at one point in the process! Just try to keep the sap as cold as possible, and out of the sun. Just remember this is a hobby for you, hobbies are fun, right?

Saltlick
03-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Not much sap so far here in the southern tier of NY either.. Had only one good run so far. But with most of my trees on the north side,,its still like winter over there.. The ground is froze solid.. So hopefully once things start to thaw out, the smoke will be coming up out of the stack again..Good Luck..BJS

lafite
03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
this is an amazing analysis of the difference one year makes in CT with our hobby:

forecast/actual highs this year vs last.

slammer3364
03-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Went to shack today and I had heat lamps on pan Saw just a wee bit of steam coming off,so I measured fluid was down to 3/4 inch I had about 2 inches in the pan a week ago Run everything in a kettle which amounted to about two and a half gal. my wife finished it off while I was at work and she got 1 and half Gal. of the lightest and nicest looking syrup we ever made...Will clean pan tommorrow and hopefully start over soon.

Adk sugar bush
03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Old timers in Northern NY use to say not to tap until first day of spring. Of course that was before vacuum and global warming, but they would have been right - at least at my camp. A little boiling, but really been more trouble trying to keep level above flues. Flood gates should open soon though. Good luck.

MapleLady
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the 'waiting' and 'patience' part of this hobby is the worst!

frjeff
03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
No sap here for the last eight days. Still holding onto about 2 gal of sweet sap that has been boiled down from 10 (total run thus far on 7 taps). It's in freezer awaiting some liquid friends.

Swagner
03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I had a good run for awhile was collecting more then I could handle with work. Then as fast as it started it stopped. Weather has been up and down. My red Maples are already beginning to bud. So this weekend I have to walk the trees and see how many taps I HAVE TO REMOVE. Hopefully not too many I still desire more syrup. The last batch was very dark and strong flavor just the way we like it. All the best luck to every one

sandman6921
03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Worst year for me.. Tapped Feb. 9th when the weather looked good on Accuguess, and been crappy since. Did manage to get 200 gal.from 75 taps, nothing the last week again. Mountains of PA between Clearfield and Frenchville...I would appreciate 5 degrees rise in temps.