PDA

View Full Version : question about syrup sales

vermontpure
03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
my son decided he wants to sell syrup this fall when he sells his pumpkins. i was wondering what steps/ certifications do i need to get so he can sell a few pints of syrup at the farmers market?

325abn
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
May be easier to sell from the shack.

Randy Brutkoski
03-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I agree with 325, if you are small scale. Insurance will kill you. It does me.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-16-2013, 06:12 AM
I checked out food ins last year and it has gone through the roof. I had a rider on my electrical ins 2002 to 2008 and it wasnt bad at all. It was based on the amount I planned to sell. I checked last year to do the same and I was taken back by the amount I was told I would need for a measly 25 gal. So I dont sell to stores unless they are going to cover the ins on their end and they put their labels on my jugs to meet state code.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-16-2013, 10:57 PM
I am interested to learn where one would obtain this type of insurance in VT and what the going rates are +/-? Is it required by state of VT? Suggested? Can't say I have heard anyone mention having or needing this type of policy to sell syrup. If it is required, what a drag. I mean the whole process to make syrup is so expensive, then to get hit again and again and again.

vermontpure
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
yup, sounds like i'll let him sell out of the door yard.

wiam
03-17-2013, 06:47 AM
yup, sounds like i'll let him sell out of the door yard.

I have a "market liability" rider on my farm policy. I think it cost about$20/year. This for someone getting hurt at my stand. I do not believe this covers any product liability. It would not matter where it was sold you probably should have product liability insurance

Randy Brutkoski
03-17-2013, 06:53 AM
I pay $400 a year for general liability.

Dill
03-17-2013, 07:49 AM
The farmers market is going to require a cert of insurance probably with a 1mil liability. Talk to your local farm insurance guy, its actually not that expensive. They are going to have a package to include, house,sugarhouse, equip and liability for not that much more than a homeowners policy. And usually the package is much cheaper than a stand alone liability policy for just products.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Alright, 400 isn't so bad. Still another bill to pay though. I have sold syrup for years and this is the first time I've ever hear of this. I guess I can't play dumb anymore. Thanks for the information. I will be searching for a local agent Monday.