PDA

View Full Version : Is It The End?

tobrien
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I live in Saratoga County. Did the warm up we had last week mean the end? Temps stayed above freezing thru the nights. We haven't had any sap since last Sunday. I have 30 taps in and we were getting 30-40 gallons a day. Will the sap run again now that temps are going back to nomal, freezing at night middle 30's during day? Do you ever retap? Thanks, 2nd year doing this and all set up this year but no sap now!

Outdoorsman0490
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
My trees have been dripping pretty good today, hadn't had any sap in days, in southwest ct

Lloyd Miller
03-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm in Rensselaer, County. Sap has stopped running for now due to the weather (too cold now) but I think it will begin running again the first of next week (maybe tomorrow too) based on the weather forecast. Generally the time to stop is when the weather stays warm for an extended period or the buds begin to swell or you've made enough syrup for this season. I've made 11 gallons of syrup so far and am hoping for one more good run. Then I'm stopping.

Outdoorsman0490
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
I had seen buds out on some red maples 2 towns over from me yesterday, but mine are dripping today. This is my first year, on my own, syrup end with my father about 15 years ago for some seasons. Weather for the next week looks good for here. I'm hoping it holds out long enough for my new pan to come in and run it once or twice so I can have it tweaked and ready for next year.