PDA

View Full Version : finishing question

Stevieray
03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm just a backyarder with 60 taps . My first boil I finished @ 219 and when bottled was very clear witha bit of small bit of sand but not quite thick enough, So today I boiled anotehr batch and went a bit higher maybe 220 ( she actually almost foamed over ) .When we bottled although thicker it was not very clear at all . Theer appears to be suspended paticles throughout the bottled sap . We are not very high tech but was wondering if I was boiling to hard or bottling to hot . I have had this problem in previous years but thoght it is time to ask for some help ...some what stubborn :lol:

Zamkev
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
How did you filter?

Stevieray
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
cheesecloth...used it both times . It's just today there was crystalization ??? in the bottles I filled.

Zamkev
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Cheesecloth is OK, but not the best for filtering and may have caused "suspended particles". If you are seeing crystalization, it means your syrup is too thick - over 66brix or 66% sugar. You may also have bottled too hot. Ideal temp for bottling is 180-200.

Stevieray
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I think you nailed it !!!...the first batch I had to wait a bit outside till wifey was ready ....today it was straight inside and even was a bit foamy when we bottled . so I'm thinking to hot . The next batch I'll try to botlle at 180 - 200 and see how it goes . Stayed tuned . Thanks Z man

Zamkev
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
welcome S man.

Rrwws
03-16-2013, 09:15 AM
So I'm sort of new at this, should I try filtering at that lower temp as well 180 -200 degrees. I seem to have the same problem with the crystalization and am also using cheese cloth, Ive also heard it called sand and it will settle to the bottom of my jars. I have been canning right the point I had syrup. Ive heard of using coffe filters and tried that this year but by the time i have syrup, it takes forever to filter due to the density ofthe syrup. However, the coffe filters work great for filtering all the things that find their way into my sap before boiling and during boiling.

Stevieray
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
That's a good question that I can't answer but I'm sure you'll get one

happy thoughts
03-16-2013, 09:49 AM
What you're see settling is probably not crystallization. Crystals would not form overnight and eventually in time will look more like rock candy in the bottom of the container. The settlement of fine grainy stuff you're seeing right after bottling is sugar sand or niter, suspended particles of insoluble minerals that settle out. If you don't have a good way to filter, you can let the syrup sit a few days in the fridge and let it settle, pour off the clear and bring it back up to bottling temp for final packing. Just be careful not to bring it past 195-200F on reheating or more niter will form.

If you filter at 180F or even a little higher you will probably need to reheat the syrup as the syrup may cool too much during filtering for safe packing. Or find a way to keep the filtered syrup warmed to at least that temp. Some people filter into heated coffee urns or use a double boiler. Just don't pack syrup that is less than 180F when in the bottle and the cap goes on.