PDA

View Full Version : What is an ARCH EVAPORATOR

newmod
03-15-2013, 09:11 AM
I have no idea what it is. Does it use three pans or just one big one? I am completely new to this. Please explain to me how it works. What would be the easiest for me to build at home. I am pretty much able to fabricate anything. I need to make some sort of evaporator to get me through this year. I think this year will be a quick one out of cinder blocks and 3 separate pans. Any other ideas

Thanks
Newmod

sugarin' in the hood
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
You virtually answered your own question stating you are building a quick one out of block, recommend a chimney to keep the smoke out of the syrup. The arch is the area where the fuel is burned and also supports the pan(s). The blocks will create your arch this year. As far as pans go if you build a 2x4 arch you could start with one big flat pan then upgrade as needed ie. with future plans to have a flue pan for major sap boiling and a smaller syrup pan up front allowing you to boil more gallons of sap per hour. Hope this helps.

newmod
03-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks. Wasn't really sure what the "ARCH" was. From what I get, it's where the pans sit across that makes the arch????

lafite
03-15-2013, 11:29 AM

here's a configuration of an arch. it slant's upwards toward the back to bring the flames up to the pan.

lafite
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
here's a finished arch missing the smoke stack

newmod
03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice. Is that aluminum or sheet steel covering it? What does the fire set on? A grate ? or the bottom? What are the dimensions of it? Is it a wood fired evaporator??

newmod
03-15-2013, 12:13 PM
would I be able to get a few different angles of this setup. Looks nice

here's a finished arch missing the smoke stack

Zamkev
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
would I be able to get a few different angles of this setup. Looks nice

might be best to Google "Maple Evaporator" to get more ideas. There are 100's of designs out there dependent on amount of taps, fuel, time to boil etc etc.

There is also a section on this site called "Homemade maple equipment" which has many pics of homemade arches.

Good luck.

maplehillbros7179
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
the arch can have as many pans as you want and it is used to keep the smoke out and for the pans to sit on.