PDA

View Full Version : Water jacket canner

b116757
03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Going to start building a water jacket canner in the 10 gallon size going to use a 1440 watt or 1500 watt hot water heater element the 1" NPS mounting nut is a little tricky to find bargainfittings.com had them in 304 stainless for around $7 I also ordered a selco ao200 bimetal snap disc thermostat switch off Allied Electronic. I will be TIG welding mine but bargainfittings.com had a lot of weldless fitting that the homebrewers are using for those that don't weld stainless the snap disc opens at 200 degrees and closes at 180 degrees should work well for bottling it will handle 15 amps at 120 vac which is what the heating element should draw.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_38&product_id=57

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?sku=70098619

b116757
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Not done yet but decided to post some photo's waiting on parts to get here

Paperman
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I was thinking of builing a jacketed canner. Any reason why everybody makes them square. I was thinking a pipe in a pipe. Say 10" inside a 12". Yours should work good. Might want to look at the temps sounds about 10 higher than I would want.

b116757
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
I almost used a SS beer keg I had laying around for the canner but desided the square one would give me more time in the mancave fooling around under the welding hood. I think that the round design would probably lend itself to more even heating and did notice that the honey canners are round instead of square. If I was producing them for sale I would more then likely use a round design but this is a one time build for personal use and have no doubt that my little square one will be a great improvement over our current stockpot and ladel. The thermostat I ordered is supposed to be from 180 to 200 degrees if I have issues with niter buildup I will change it out for a lower temp version Selco makes a lot of diffrent bimetel snap disc thermostats of diffrent temp ranges I may even go with a little more expensive adjustable thermostat.