PDA

View Full Version : Maple Madness Tour?

Lazarus
03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Is anyone here on the Maple Madness Tour for this year? I was thinking I might try to visit some other producers this weekend, because down here in the far southwest I have *never even seen* anyone else's operation, and I could use some good visual demonstration and advice on running some new equipment for next year (namely going to RO next year and oil-fired or propane). Problem is, the nearest place on the tour is hours away, and so I want to make sure my trip is well planned and worthwhile. The tour list is a bit confusing to me - not sure who I should visit.

Anyone one on the tour or have any suggestions?

-Laz

300+ very high producing taps and growing fast
GBM 2x6 with preheater (for sale in 2013)
Moving to RO and oil-fired in 2014

JBUTCH2450
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
We are on the tour and open both Saturday and Sunday.

heus
03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
If you want to come to northeast Ohio One Leg John (Bissell Maple Farm) has a great open house Sat with pancakes. Not far away Ray Gingerich at Deer Run Maple (of the low cost ro fame) is also having one. Well worth the trip.

Lazarus
03-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Awesome!!!

Butcher Maple, you are a little more than 2 hrs away, so that will definitely work. What time are you starting each day and what's a good time for a producer that has lots of questions? I don't want to monopolize your time if you have a lot of "the public" to entertain as part of the tour.

Bissell (and Gingrich) - more like 4.5 hrs (whew!) and it looks like Saturday only for both. Definitely looking to see the low cost RO I have heard about! Same question on hours and do you think I am going to be too pesky with all my "techie" questions or will they have time for me that day??

Kngowods
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Never been to bissel but we are goin to Gingrich Saturday he is a pretty cool guy he would answer all your questions he has time for. Also Karl Evans is about 1 mile from Gingrich and is an awesome guy to ask questions he sells supplies he meat us there at 9:30 pm last Saturday for emergency hydrometer ill prob stop there Saturday as well

heus
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes definitely also stop at Karl Evans (May Hill Maple). He's a great dealer to buy from.

Lazarus
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
OK, great! I found Deer Run, May Hill, Bissell, and Butcher all on the list.

A friend also suggested Sugarbush Creek Farm and Grossman Maple, both in Geauga County.

Sounds like a road trip!

Lazarus
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh - one last question ..... anyone know of any hotel spots up that way? I realize Cleveland proper is right nearby, but if anyone knows of any nearby business commons areas with some hotels and restaurants, that would be much appreciated.

heus
03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
There is a hotel or two in Austinburg, which is not all that far from Rock Creek. Right at the route 45/Interstate 90 exit.

OneLegJohn
03-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Oh - one last question ..... anyone know of any hotel spots up that way? I realize Cleveland proper is right nearby, but if anyone knows of any nearby business commons areas with some hotels and restaurants, that would be much appreciated.

Glad you could make it! I hope it was a worthwhile trip for you.

Maple216
03-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Made a trip from Cleveland down to Medina to visit Steve at Maple Valley Farm. Great operation... great tour... good guys. Appreciated their time. Older article:

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2009/03/03/pure-passion-maple-valley-farm-joins-march-tour-of-northeast-ohio-sugaring-operations/