PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Cans?

JOSHP
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM
We started bottling our syrup in old fashined style cans this year. In the past we have just put it in mason jars with dome lids, and if for some reason they did not seal properly the top would be "popped". How can I tell if the cans have sealed? It seems if I put hot syrup into the can and cap it that as it cools it will seal. Someone told me I need to tip them upside down while they cool???

Russell Lampron
03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
You should lay the can or jug on it's side for a couple of minutes after you cap it to sterilize the seal area. Plastic jugs can get a flat spot on the side if you let lay on it's side too long. If you've got one that doesn't seal properly you will see leakage from the cap while the can or jug is on it's side.

CBOYER
03-14-2013, 06:41 PM
immediatly after you seal the tin can, tip them upside down, for sterilized the cover, and check for any leaks. after 1-2 minutes, put your cans in cold water (i put snow in a pail with water). This will keep your syrup color.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
immediatly after you seal the tin can, tip them upside down, for sterilized the cover, and check for any leaks. after 1-2 minutes, put your cans in cold water (i put snow in a pail with water). This will keep your syrup color.

This is the first time that I have heard of putting the cans or jugs in cold water. I just make sure that the containers don't touch each other as they are cooling and haven't had any problems with color change.

CBOYER
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM
i think there is misunderstanding ...he mention can... not plastic jugs...a can is made of metal.. i put all my syrup in metal can like thoses:
http://www.unimat.ca/agricole/erabliere/contenants-en-metal-pour-sirop/contenant-en-metal-pour-sirop-d-erable.html