PDA

View Full Version : Trees no Longer running ?

sr73087
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
This is my 1st year doing this and it has been fun so far. I did my 1st boil down last weekend and it yielded some of the tastiest syrup I have ever had. Anyway, over the weekend with the serious rise in temps my maples (only 2 tapped so far) basically stopped running completely. Is this normal?

happy thoughts
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
yes. It's normal for sap to ebb and flow with the freeze/thaw cycle. If it freezes again and then warms up they will run again. As long as the trees are not budding you'll be good to go. Have fun and hoping you'll make more tasty syrup!

sr73087
03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
:( I looked out the window this morning and noticed one of my trees is beginning to bud. Typically how far apart will trees bud if they are literally feet from each other? Because my other tree ran a decent amount yesterday.

merryall
03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
We collected an average of 1.5 gallons per tap today but see buds beginning to swell and we hear sugar content is dropping. This weekend will probably be our last boil since spring chores are stacking up, lambs are due any day and chicks are arriving. Time to move on.

Blocmi
03-16-2013, 08:53 PM
The past couple days have turned sap flow around to the better. I figured this would be my last weekend of boiling, but the forecast is looking good next week. I may have to move some old taps installed in January to new trees to keep the flow rates higher, but I'm gonna keep at it.

sr73087
03-17-2013, 07:55 PM
:( I looked out the window this morning and noticed one of my trees is beginning to bud. Typically how far apart will trees bud if they are literally feet from each other? Because my other tree ran a decent amount yesterday.

How much longer will this tree run? I got a decent amount from it today. I thought once it budded I was done....

killingworthmaple
03-18-2013, 06:09 AM
It looks like its going to run for at least another week the temps are perfect for sap.

Nathan

Agent914
03-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I agree another strong run this week cold nights with reasonably warm days which should keep the sugar content high

I reemed a few of my low producing or waning taps in a hope that they will pick-up and produce more SAP on this anticipated second wave.

valleyman
03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I pulled two taps from a large maple that I'm "borrowing" the sap from. The tree is not on my property and it gave me more than it's fare share for the season. I tapped an additional tree and may tap a couple others to get one more week of sap.

I tapped my trees on February 12 and yielded a tremendous amount of sap from the few trees that I tapped so I can't complain. To date I finished right around 5 gallons from 14 taps which is roughly double than I was expecting.

sr73087
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
So the two trees I have tapped started to run again. Not as much as a month ago but still getting a decent amount from them. However, it does look like they are both budding now, even with nights in the 20s basically all week. How do I know when the season is over, will it simply not run?

Also, I think I started a little late this year (tapped 2/25 in Trumbull CT). Can you technically tap too early? Next year I was thinking maybe setting up a reminder to have everything tapped and ready to go 2/1.

happy thoughts
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
So the two trees I have tapped started to run again. Not as much as a month ago but still getting a decent amount from them. However, it does look like they are both budding now, even with nights in the 20s basically all week. How do I know when the season is over, will it simply not run?

Also, I think I started a little late this year (tapped 2/25 in Trumbull CT). Can you technically tap too early? Next year I was thinking maybe setting up a reminder to have everything tapped and ready to go 2/1.

The sap will start to smell bad when boiled. Some say it smells like dirty socks. I usually stop when it starts smelling like cardboard.

As for when to tap, if you're just putting out a few out on gravity, imho it is better to watch the forecast next year. Every year is different, especially the last few. Fresh taps on gravity produce better and although colder weather will limit microbial growth in your taps and tapholes, you may not get as good flows after 4-5 weeks. It's also good to keep the traditional tapping dates for your area in mind. Ask around and then start watching the long range weather forecasts about a month before that time.

sr73087
03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
So you really only know after you already start boiling? So it will keep running even after the season is over?

If my trees are budding is that any indication where I stand?

happy thoughts
03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
So you really only know after you already start boiling? So it will keep running even after the season is over?

If my trees are budding is that any indication where I stand?

Yes budding means proceed cautiously. Don't mix questionable sap with good stuff. You can always boil a little on the stove separately and do a smell and taste test. Up until this year I've always packed it up before trees budded so can't tell you if you can tell from the taste of raw sap. I think the color may start changing more toward yellow and become cloudy but someone who has experienced buddy sap can tell you better than I could. Toward the end of the season syrup will usually start getting much darker and as I mentioned before boiling sap starts smelling like hot wet cardboard to me. By then I've usually made enough for my needs and am worn out, lol. I have a feeling this year will have me boiling to the edge or I'm going to start running my trees through a wringer :o. I may be better able to answer you come May :cry: So far this season has been a big disappointment at my house. Hope you're having a productive season, having fun and making some delicious syrup! I may have to invite myself over for pancakes :).

hodorskib
03-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Once you have smelled buddy sap you will never forget it! Dirty socks or wet cardboard whatever you want to call it you will definetly notice it right away. If you smell anything foul stop and don't waste your time. My trees are in Watertown just south of Litchfield down in a valley and the red maples have not even budded there however, just 2 miles away at my house the reds have budded out and the sugars are swelling fast. I am holding out until Thursday afternoon then pulling everything Friday morning. Good luck!

Adammp1
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Unbelievable flow today in North Guilford; no buddy syrup to speak of yet.

sr73087
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I have another question for you guys.

If say in November, we get a few cold days with nights below freezing and days in the 40s. Will the trees run with good sap? Or is there something that occurs over the winter that must happen in order to have usable sap? Or say in a few weeks we get a cold snap and conditions are once again perfect, would they run with usable sap? Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited about this.

Agent914
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I heard that you can tap in the November time frame but the sugar content is very very low.

I also read that the trees need cold weather and longer the cold period (snap) the higher the sugar content wil be, because the pressure from freezing causes a molecular change in the SAP which increase the sugar content. (lke coal into diamonds)

So tapping in the fall it is not worth the effort.

lafite
03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
you can tap in the fall with the temperature inversions but you should never tap the same trees in the Spring.

I have another question for you guys.

If say in November, we get a few cold days with nights below freezing and days in the 40s. Will the trees run with good sap? Or is there something that occurs over the winter that must happen in order to have usable sap? Or say in a few weeks we get a cold snap and conditions are once again perfect, would they run with usable sap? Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited about this.

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I also read that the trees need cold weather and longer the cold period (snap) the higher the sugar content wil be, because the pressure from freezing causes a molecular change in the SAP which increase the sugar content. (lke coal into diamonds).

Not really like that. The freeze/thaw conditions induces the enzymatic conversion of starch stored in the wood into sugar, which then mixes with the water in the tree to produce sweet sap.