PDA

View Full Version : Glass Front Door. OK?

toddbiss
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
We had some problems with some smoke in the shack, so I cut a door off a corn stove I had and fitted it to the evaporator. Was not easy but actually works great and you can see when it's time to fire and no smoke. Seems like the glass should hold up to temps...

sams64
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I had a two glass fireplace doors in the house on my fireplace. Now I have 1 glass fireplace door on my fireplace. One shattered when the butt end of a burning log rested against it for a minute or two. Maybe the woodburning stove dors ate different, but if you get a serious hot spot in the glass it will expand more than the glass around it. If that happens plan on doing a bit of sweeping.

Sam

Asthepotthickens
03-15-2013, 06:23 AM
We had some problems with some smoke in the shack, so I cut a door off a corn stove I had and fitted it to the evaporator. Was not easy but actually works great and you can see when it's time to fire and no smoke. Seems like the glass should hold up to temps...

The front stove in my homemade unit is a Franklin wood stove with two glass doors. The glass holds up fine until you hit it loading wood. Now I have one glass door and on with a metal insert.