PDA

View Full Version : leaving sap in pans overnite?

acerrubrum
03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone else leaves their sap over nite in the pans to resume boiling the next day, and how long this can be done. Sometimes I'd like to boil off 100 gallons or so one day, let the fire die out and start boiling again the next day or maybe the day after next- while leaving the sap in the pans. It would be a lot easier than finishing the syrup, bottling and washing everything up only to restart the process in a day or two.
For example; can I boil down 100 gallons of sap to about 20 gallons, leave that sitting in my pans for, say, two nights- assuming it drops below freezing at nite?

Shawn
03-14-2013, 04:16 PM
We let it sit in the pan for the night and then I go up early in the morning and drain it and clean my pan and when we are ready to boil again I pour the boiled sap from the night or day before back into the pan, as it is now here the weather has changed to cold and the sap I drained off is frozen so I am not worried about it.

Mike in NY
03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
My pans have been wet for a week. The only reason we drained them off today was to tear down and clean up. Made some dark syrup last night so time to clean up, did the front pan over the weekend. If we were still making good syrup I would not have stopped to clean up

ennismaple
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
We've gone entire seasons with maybe only one cleanup, maybe 2 of the flue pan. We try to drain and clean the sugar sand out of the front pan every 100 gallons of syrup produced.

I know some producers will boil their evaporator through frequently to push out all the sweet - we just don't have time to do this very often.