PDA

View Full Version : Using natural gas as fuel source?

Spolcik
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Is there a reason why nobody uses natural gas to boil sap? It works great to boil water inside. I have natural gas acessable and was thinking of making a burner up to boil with. Is this a bad idea?

jasonl6
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Allot of people use it. Most don't because it's expensive. I know 3 people that use it within a few miles from me. 1 is a small time producer and has free gas because he has a private well. The other is a company that uses it and also has free gas due to a major line crossing their property. The third is always complaining about his huge expense (he has a 2" main coming into his sugar house). Sounds like a jet when i walk in there. He says it sounds like money going up the stack.

Jason

not_for_sale
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Natural gas per therm is cheaper than fuel oil. Way cheaper. If you use a burner that is as efficient as you oil burner and have gas you can save a big chunk of money.

unc23win
03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I know a guy who boils with it because it was an option when he built his sugar house. He has a natural gas 4x15 or 16 with a steam away and ro and he made a little over 800 gallons and the fuel bill was just under $1000 and not only that another advantage is that the gas bill comes at the end of the month so you could be selling syrup to pay the bill. I wish I was able to use natural gas, but I am well of the nearest line.