PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

cheesegenie
06-13-2006, 06:20 PM
I was reading a farm paper last week and found an interesting article.
China has some sugar maple seedlings in a cooler, and the short of
it is, they hope to produce maple syrup some day.The climate is close
to ours and they think the trees will do fine. They already have some
reds from Canada that are doing well. We think Quebec is flooding the market now, what about in fifty years?

Rob Harvey
06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Perhaps those asian longhorn beetles will take of them for us. Rob

ibby458
06-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I think if they CAN do, they will. I can't believe it will be a good thing for North American producers, but there are mitigating circumstances.

Firstly, it'll be 50 years before those seedlings are tappable. Most of us won't be worrying about it by then.

Once their domestic market gets a taste, they may want more than they can produce, opening up a HUGE market for us.

They'll start producing their own evaporators and other equipment, which will lower the prices to us. Might even get one of their foundrys to start making a cast iron spout similier to the Warner or old Soule. THey make a LOT of stainless over there. Might see all sorts of new or reproduced equipment at a fraction of what were paying now.

forester1
06-23-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't know if China has the spring freeze/thaw cycles like we have here in north america. Europe imported sugar maples over 200 years ago to make sugar but they never could. When spring comes there, it gets warm and stays warm, so the sap doesn't flow enough.