PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, I'm quite glad when the flow stops a spell.

mantispid
03-14-2013, 08:18 AM
I love a good run, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much! I start to get quite nervous when all the storage tanks are at capacity, I have to start using buckets for storage, the evaporator isn't set to be run for a couple days, and the flow just keeps on going! I just have a backyard operation with 78 taps, and can only boil (practically speaking) on weekends. I've been impressed that 78 taps on all reds can yield over 50 gallons per day with a basic gravity system here in Richland.

Looking forward to another good run starting today!

Tweegs
03-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Heh, same here.

Realized just how much wood I have in comparison to the amount of wood I thought I had. There is a striking difference between the two piles.

Plenty out there waiting to be cut, and this little lull provides the opportunity to cut it, but again, there is a striking difference in the amount that needs to be cut and the motivation I have to actually cut it.

Now, doesn’t that ramble sound like it comes from one who’s been in the shack too long? :lol:

Four D Acre Farms
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
yea cant beat a good run ecxept for maybe the lull (if) one follows to get caught up. I am in a similar boat as you tweegs except that my wood needs to be got then cut and no matter how much is in the shed it seems to go faster than expected so for me the lul in sap flow means wood restock, and note to self get twice as much wood next year! LOL

sugaringman85
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
We have been out straight since the first of march, boiled 8 days/nights and have logged every morning. Its like having two jobs in one day, don't know how some people do it. Having our first night off in a few days is quite nice. Get to catch up on sleep and other details before the sawdust flies in the morning. Nothing beats crazy runs with long days and long nights.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
I work a full time job and do the maple as a hobby. This is the first night that I have had off after boiling for the last 7 nights in a row. It does feel good.

DonMcJr
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I too am OUT of wood! I have a whole pickup bed full that I have to split down tomorrow so I can boil again this weekend!

mantispid
03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmm.. I too am out of wood. I will need to cut down more dead black locust trees (they seem to be everywhere) and prep them for burning, when I get home this evening...

Four D Acre Farms
03-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Wood wood wood no matter how much you look and think you have enough it never seems to be enough!

Tweegs
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
After an 8 hour boil yesterday, I don’t have enough wood left to heat a can of soup.

Looks like I’ll be cutting the next two nights, boiling again on Wed.

Been saving two big dead trees for just this type of emergency. Should be enough there to finish out the season, I hope.

Been splitting as I go, lately.