PDA

View Full Version : Big CAT chewed some of my tubing

Hal
03-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Big orange and black CAT, about 48,000 pounds, chewed up some of my roadside tubing, left claw marks in the gravel road.

It never fails, I have about 75 taps on the roadside just up the hill from my sugarhouse. Every year I wait until the last possible minute to tap them, and about one year in four, the town comes along with the grader and wings the snowbank, AFTER I get them tapped. This year wasn't bad, buried about fifty feet of tubing, and pulled one tap. One year when we had a lot of snow it took three hours to shovel the line clear.

If I was smart, I would "communicate" with the road crew about it, but it is one of those minor annoyances that get ignored until after the fact. This year I didn't really think there was enough snow to worry about, but they are trying to get the banks back so that the ditches will run. There is not much of a ditch there anyway, the road used to be narrower and more or less of a dugway, but over the years it has been built up and out, so is now as high as the stone wall in some places, and right up against the tees all the way.

peckfarm
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Maybe a few pints at the town garage with your address would help them remember...

Hal
03-14-2013, 10:05 PM
No chance of that. The road foreman and his dad run a big syrup operation of their own. Now maybe if it were pints of some other liquid??