PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but troubles,almost ready to wave the white flag!!!!!

Bruce L
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM
What's year it has been,firstly we have been busy running dry lines,wet lines ,installing pumps etc.Went to start up the vacuum pump,generator wouldn't do it,brand new but not enough hp to start a 3 hp motor.Figured the motor was fried,so got a new motor from TSC,but turns out it is a dud and needs to be returned,as even the big tractor generator won't run it.Drove into town today,got two new capacitators for the original motor,started right up no problems,tried running it with the portable generator,fried the capacitator so installed the second one and ran it off the tractor generator.
For several days now we have been chasing leaks,21" at the pump,soon as you turn on the line it drops to 5" or even 0,so not enough vacuum to even find leaks.
Anyway,back to today,worked all day,got the vacuum up and running,got the lines connected to the old dairy pump jar,a coumatic De Laval,started up the generator,turned on the pump,got down to the jar,my son said wow Dad,we have 26" of vacuum!!!! Opened up the line to the bush,said now we will find the leaks,but the jar was splashing all over the place,tripped the probes and would not pump out,too high a vacuum I figure.I went. Back to the pump,looked like the building was on fire,exhaust from the pump was sort of white,blue,not sure if this is normal from anoil flood pump,but what else can go wrong.Tomorrow I am going to remove the jar,and put in a mechanical releases above the tank,maybe then we can get back to fixing lines and increasing sap volume with higher vacuum?
I said to my Wife tonight that I figured buckets would have been much simpler ,but we do not have the time or manpower for that,so here's hoping from tomorrow on it is much smoother sailing
Bruce

TerryEspo
03-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Lee Iaccoca, from Ford and Chrysler had a saying from his father "The sun is going to come out" No matter how "dark" it seems now, the sun will come out.

Good time to repeat that over and over !!

I hope all works out for you.

Terry

Revi
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
You will get the bugs worked out and make more syrup. There's still lots of season left!

shane hickey
03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Thats a syrup season for ya seems some years nothing goes rite.
Sounds some what like me last year. It felt like some
Days it didnt pay to get out of bed. But best of luck to you

Thad Blaisdell
03-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Go up in the woods and shut every mainline off but one. Fix that one, turn on the next, and so forth. That will help a lot.

Good luck

Bruce L
03-14-2013, 07:09 AM
I also forgot to mention we have approximately 10% damage in one bush,drop lines chewed to pieces,laterals chewed in two or nipped,mainlines chewed or busted,and so on and so on...........

peckfarm
03-14-2013, 08:25 PM
We have some folks around here who are armed against tubing terrorists for the first time ever. Cary in the woods, kill squirrels it will make you feel better. i spoke with the game warden and got the go on getting rid of some very deer friends who have made things difficult in the sugar bush this year. If it were easy, it would be cheep.