PDA

View Full Version : How much longer for us CT guys?

valleyman
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Another major mid week slow down for me.

Weather looks very promising in the near forecast. When we get a good freeze thaw cycle like the one that's upcoming, will it recharge a strong flow being well into the season?

lafite
03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
The keys will be the budding of the trees. you might not like the sugar content but I do have friends who prefer the darker syrup!

good luck!

lisound
03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm already seeing a few trees who's buds are swelling. mostly reds. but the silvers I have mostly tapped are not far behind.
I think this will be my last weekend. Not much sap running either. Don't we need a hard freeze for the sap to really flow again?

G0J0
03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
are you predominantly tapping silvers? i have access to silvers, but no reds or sugar maples. curious if there's any difference in syrup quality.

lisound
03-14-2013, 12:48 AM
not sure. don't have any sugars. ha.
the syrup is awesome...like nothing i've ever tasted before. Still getting an amber color. taste like cotton candy the first few runs. now that is compounded by a subtle maple flavor.
I would tap any maple. Mine are in the wetlands and are often called swamp maples.
They give me a ton of sap and sugar content seems to be average. 35 to 1

Agent914
03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
The first sign for me that the season is beginning to end is when I start getting sugar Moths in most every bucket. I find that the syrup tends to get a lot darker, a more full bodied flavor, after the moths appear (of course I remove them before I boil cause I hate to think that they add flavor)

Also even though I collect every day I find some trees beginning to produce a milkier sap (not as clear) but after the red buds appear in the trees, the season is over the sap turns to milk so I pull my taps, clean my equipment and make a plans to improve my process for next year.

valleyman
03-14-2013, 08:25 AM
A co-worker just came in with her head down telling me that she heard below normal temps for the next two weeks and she looked at me funny when I started grinning from ear to ear. Mother Maple is with us this year!

This is for you my loving and understanding wife:
" Hang in there honey.... I swear I'll get to it sometime in April, I promise"

Oh yeah, I forgot that's gardening season huh? Hmm

hodorskib
03-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I picked up 55 gallons yesterday off 75 taps so things are still running in my neck of the woods. Sugar is down to 1.6 but with tonight's lows we may actually make another week. Hoping for it!