PDA

View Full Version : cleaning sap storage tank

tbear
03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to get a 65 gal. tank for sap storage. The tank I'm looking at has a 5 inch manhole on top and a 1 inch drain hole on the bottom. How would I go about cleaning it? Thanks, Ted

jasonl6
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
First what was in the tank? If it was anything but water or a food product like juice or syrup don't use it.

Jason

tbear
03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Sorry about that. It's a brand new food grade plastic water (sap) tank. Never been used.
Ted

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Anything with that small a hole is hard to clean...one of the drawbacks of the 275 gallon totes. Best solution I have found is a high pressure washer and a wand that allows you to reach all the surfaces.

tbear
03-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Darn...I was kinda hoping for somthing a little more low tech. Thanks, Ted

spencer11
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
you could cut a hole in it...i layed a 55 gallon drum on its side and cut a hole the size of a 5 gallon bucket and put it in the hole, the buckets are tapered so if your good at cutting the hole it will fit tight. i use the tank for collecting and i didnt silicon around the bucket and i dont usually get any sap splashing out if the buckets tight. it will give you a larger hole to pour sap in and a bigger hole for cleaning

tbear
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
That's a neat idea! I`m always amazed at how clever people are. I guess it`s true that necessity is the mother of invention.
Ted

stoweski
03-14-2013, 05:39 AM
5" is large enough to fit my arm. I bought a scrub brush on a 20" handle. When I need to clean my tanks (including two 100 gallon poly tanks but with 8" openings, I use a sprayer on a hose along with the scrub brush. 1 T of bleach usually is all it takes to sanitize the drum. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse and let dry before putting it to use. No stinky sap smell and no bleach smell. If I get either I do it all over again.

Oh, I use a shopvac to suck out all of the water since the bottom drain plug is above the bottom of the tank. Works like a charm.

tbear
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Stoweski,
That's what I like; something low tech and manual! The tank I'm looking at is a horizontal model that has feet on it. Will the hose/nylon brush with 20 inch handle work for that? Thanks, Ted

stoweski
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Search amazon... scrub brush 20 - the second item down is exactly what I have.

I can reach into the 100 gallon horizontal tank and hit bottom with ease... but that is with an 8" opening. The 5" opening might be a bit tight but I don't think it would be an issue. I have no problem cleaning the 35 gallon tank - another horizontal tank - with a 5" opening... but it's a bit smaller than the 65. The shopvac I bought at Lowes on Black Friday for $30 has a hose that is plenty long enough to reach the bottom of my 200 gal tank! Also, it's great for cleaning out the evaporator pans after I wash them. For $10 I bought a flexible crevice tool (also on amazon) for cleaning down to the bottom of the flues. Works great.
Only thing I would do is reach into the 65 gal tank and see how much flexibility your arm has... you don't want to get it stuck! I know I would pick up a 65 gal tank in a heartbeat if it was the right price.

spencer11
03-14-2013, 08:10 PM
If you need something to vacuum out the flues at some point just duct tape a piece of old tubing the the shop vac hose, then you don't need to buy a special hose