PDA

View Full Version : No Sap Flow

frjeff
03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
My newbie and tiny little operation (8 taps) has yielded just 5.75 gallons sap on 3/8 and 3/9. Since then - nothing.
Temps have been hi and low of: 45/28, 36/20 and 28/14 on my three consecutive days with no run. Even the highs of 45 and 36 yielded nothing. Wondering if lack of warm sunshine may be a factor - it has been gray and damp all these no run days.

Have only 17oz of finished and bottled syrup. Light amber and tastes great, but I want more.

Will the sap resume?

Shawn
03-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Dont worry your not alone. We need a freeze up and it looks like we have that coming in the next day and then the sun comes out and we should be back in business:cool:

MarkL
03-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Your warm day was not cold enough and your cold days were not warm enough ;)

40s/20s is what gets the sap flowing. The wrong number on either end and it shuts down. It was over 50 here yesterday but no run because the night before it was in the mid 30s.

PerryW
03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
no sap here since sunday either.

Your sap didn't run on your 45 & 36 degree day because it didn't freeze hard. Then your 28 degree high was too cold, but things will start flowing on the next real thaw.

LukeW
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
No sap since Sunday here either. I'm going to do boil this evening but I won't make more than a couple gallons. Made 10 gallons Sunday night.

Ravenseye
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
First year for me as well. 12 taps. In the last week I got gallons of sap and then it shut down in the last day or two. In fact, I pulled the taps out of one maple because it was budding pretty heavy. The rest look ok. I was grateful for the break because I had 45 gallons of sap on my porch that I'm boiling down on a two burner propane stove. Got it down to 10 gallons yesterday. The finished syrup was thin and light and good. Not at all what I get at the stores!

Thanks for all the advice here. I learn a lot and I'm grateful for the time folks put in to help others out and for the attention that the mods put into keeping it all running!

Russell Lampron
03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
no sap here since sunday either.

Your sap didn't run on your 45 & 36 degree day because it didn't freeze hard. Then your 28 degree high was too cold, but things will start flowing on the next real thaw.

Lucky me! I have been getting sap every day since the 4th.