PDA

View Full Version : No sap in lines?

Tappy Sap Master
03-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Yesterday i was out collecting sap and noticed there was nothing running in a couple of my lines. My runs are about 150' @ 4% slope. Did my tap holes dry up? But i decided to hang some bags on 6 trees and everyone that i tapped was a constant drip. So what is going on? We have had a few days with the weather being above freezing at night but why would some run and some not?

Shawn
03-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Same here Some sap in my lines dripping a little and some buckets the same, seems like the weather has a lot to do with it, we need a freeze up again, I dont think its over its just a hold over I guess. Talked to a friend who sugars up the road from me and his were not running yesterday at all but the other day they were. His trees are all out in the open and near the road by his sugar house. My stud trees to the back of my house have run good where the others in the back woods did nothing. Like I said we need a freeze up again.:cool:

325abn
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Weather has everything to do with it. Looks like we are in for another run starting maybe tommorow.

PerryW
03-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Freshly tapped holes will sometimes run even though the conditions are not ideal for sap flow. We need a freeze and it looks like we're gonna get one.

steve J
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
most of my buckets were running yesterday but my lines were mostly dry. I am thinking that I may go to CV spouts next year as I suspect my holes started to heal in order to fight off bacteria?