PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the arch to cool!

stewardsdairy
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Too tired to do more work in the sugar house tonight. I should be bottling! Couple of cold days forcasted and then it should kick in again!

DonMcJr
03-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Isn't that great sitting there waiting for the steam to stop rising and red coals to go away so you can GO TO SLEEP!

LOL! What fun!!!!!!!!!!!

lpakiz
03-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Could you shovel the last few coals out into a steel pail, barrel, or other container and move them outside?

Waynehere
03-13-2013, 07:40 AM
You guys need to just flood the pans with some sap and let it simmer all night. Then you can have time to jump in the Hot tub.... :)

I use to run it all night sometimes during the heavy runs. I would set my alarm every 3 hours to go out and stoke the arch all night long. It was the only way to work full time and boil everything in. Just have to be sure you don't already have too much syrup in the pans or even simmering all night you might find a mess the next morning..... :(

bowtie
03-13-2013, 07:44 AM
unless i am completely out of sap, when i am done boiling i draw off then flood my pan with fresh sap to about 2" or so and leave it . i make sure my fire is low but i don't wait until it is out or cool. i just make sure that there is enough sap in the pan to avoided scorching it, like i said about 2". it takes forever for the arch to cool down,my firebrick is usually glowing, hopefully by then i am fast asleep!

stewardsdairy
03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
I was out of sap last night and adding water and I didn't want to totally flood my pans with water. Most of the water is in the steam away now and I will drain that before it freezes today. If I have enough sap left shut down is pretty easy but I didn't want any left in my tanks last night