PDA

View Full Version : sap pump?

whitetail farms
03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Ibought a 2 inch gas pump from HF to pump sap about 150 feet and about 10 feet high and it just isnt doing the job my line from the pupm to the tank im trying to pump to goes up about 8 feet the acroos with a grade of about 2 feet bringing it to 10 ft this pipe is 1 inch black tubing,i was pupmig from a 40 gallon drum abnd it was going good intill there wasabout 8 inch in the barrel and it wasnt pumping anymore, should i take the line and run it on the ground then up to the tank?....did I lose my prime or will the pupm i have just not work thanks for any help i need to get this working flawlessy as i can pickup about 100 taps on another bush this year but i need this pupm to work for that too.thank you nick

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-13-2013, 05:36 AM
I use 2 inch pumps in several places. Once it is primed, it should suck the sap until it draws air. are all fittings tight?

whitetail farms
03-13-2013, 06:39 AM
one fitting was dripping on the out put side of the pump and im pretty poitive the one on suction side are all tight and good but i did leae the tank twice while it was pumping then came back to it not pupming anything at all maybe the hose just floated up and sucked some air

Burnt sap
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
As a firefighter/pump operator we trouble shoot on the run. Three main causes for a loss of prime are. 1. Air leak around any fitting or hole in vacume line. 2. To great of lift for the pump/or to long run of head pressure. 3. A clog in strainer or intake. These are the most common causes. Another cause on a small pump is a vacume lock. You may need to drill a small 1/8 hole in the discharge side of the pump outlet fitting to ensure air has a place to escape. Hope this helps. Oh it wont hurt to attach a small weight to the end of your suction hose to keep it on the bottom.

MISugarDaddy
03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
It sounds like you lost your prime is all. We have two 1" pumps that we use for pumping our sap, one is a Honda in our transport vehicle and the other from Harbor Freight for pumping from our storage tank to our overhead tank. We had similar problems that you explained until we made our tank pick ups out of PVC which we hooked to the line going to the pumps. Now both pumps work great. Both pumps are used to lift the sap approximately eight feet and both do it without any problem.

whitetail farms
03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
okay thanks guys ill have to try it again and make sure the pump stays in the sap the whole time hopefully it works cause i just got 60 taps on tubing that i need to pupm into the back of my truck

Maplesapper
03-14-2013, 11:25 PM
We use a 2" trash pump with a 3/4 reducer out of a 55 gallon drum.
We sink the 55 in the snow and set the pump at a higher spot on the snow ( while we have some)
Our run is thru a 3/4" pipe, 440 long, with a height increase of 10'....works quite well