PDA

View Full Version : Taps drying up already?

chicken123
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
So, I tapped the trees in my yard a little early this year. they have been in for about 2 weeks. They ran alittle for a few days and then we had a freeze and they stopped running for about a week. Finally, they started to run again about 5 days ago. They ran pretty good for the first 3 days but the last 2 days I haven't got any sap
:( Is it possible that they have dryed up so early? I did have to pull them all once to switch from bucket spiles to tubing spiles. Would this make them dry up so quick?

chicken123
03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Also, I forgot to say it has been almost 45F for the past day and a half. Could not dropping below freezing cause the sap to stop flowing? Even though the rest of my newer taps are flowing.:confused:

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Also, I forgot to say it has been almost 45F for the past day and a half. Could not dropping below freezing cause the sap to stop flowing? Even though the rest of my newer taps are flowing.:confused:

Yes. The trees you tapped earlier will have flowed all the sap that will come out (on gravity) whereas the new trees hadn't been "emptied" yet, so they will flow for a day or two. Once things freeze up and thaw again, they will all run.

chicken123
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Thank you!!

charlotte
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
My trees haven't produced anything in the last couple of days either. I don't think it is time to pull them though. It doesn't hurt to wait and see.
Good luck.