PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the bottom of a flat pan?

moscowmule
03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
hey everybody,
does anyone have any special clever ideas for cleaning off the BOTTOM of their flat pan? i'm concerned that all the soot build up is slowing down the heat transfer, and all i can think to do is scrub it down with a chimney sweeping brush unless someone else has a more efficient way of doing it.

Mike R.
03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I have used a garden hose to remove most the loose soot that just washes off and then use a scotchbrite pad to remove and the heavier soot.

DrewCP
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Nothing clever just hot water, aggressive kitchen scrub brush and piles of elbow grease. Unless you are talking about cleaning it while boiling? If you are getting excessive buildup on your pan you need to achive better combustion. Add more air.

Lukie
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
i use a putty knife ducktaped to a stick and scrap the bottom of the pan with out taking it off the the Evaporator works fine for me

PerryW
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
In 24 years, I've never actually cleaned mine other than brushing it with a stiff bristle brush at the end of the season.

wnybassman
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I use a kids plastic hoe and scrape the bottom every couple of boils.

backyard sugaring
03-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Spray oven cleaner and hose it off you don't have to do anything. Good luck

miner1
03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I use a 1-1/2 copper 45 degree elbow, had it kicking around the garage when I was looking for a scraper that wouldn't scratch the steel. It scrapes off soot like magic and doesn't scratch the stainless. Put the circle part of the fitting flat on the bottom of the pan and scrape away. I let the soot build up for a 3 or 4 boils, it seems to work better the thicker the soot.

Spolcik
03-13-2013, 06:22 PM
hey everybody,
does anyone have any special clever ideas for cleaning off the BOTTOM of their flat pan? i'm concerned that all the soot build up is slowing down the heat transfer, and all i can think to do is scrub it down with a chimney sweeping brush unless someone else has a more efficient way of doing it.

I got a tip from a member this year for the same thing it worked awesome. Bar keepers friend to get the soot off with hot water. Then cover with liquid dish soap and let it dry. The soot will literally spray off. In fact I turned mine upside down and left it outside the rain cleaned it for me. Try it you won't be sorry.

concord maple
03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I got a tip from a member this year for the same thing it worked awesome. Bar keepers friend to get the soot off with hot water. Then cover with liquid dish soap and let it dry. The soot will literally spray off. In fact I turned mine upside down and left it outside the rain cleaned it for me. Try it you won't be sorry.
Spolcik, how does the bar keepers friend work on the baked on soot. I treated the bottom of my flue pan twice with easy off oven cleaner and scrubbed but I couldnt get some areas clean, especially the sides of the flues.

Spolcik
03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Spolcik, how does the bar keepers friend work on the baked on soot. I treated the bottom of my flue pan twice with easy off oven cleaner and scrubbed but I couldnt get some areas clean, especially the sides of the flues.

Never tried oven cleaner but the bar keepers friend worked great. Hot water is key the hotter the better. I filled a couple buckets from the sink and still had to scrub a little but it worked good.