PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Sugar Bushes

ibby458
06-09-2006, 06:02 AM
If this rain ever stops, This weekend, I hope to visit 3 different local bushes with an eye towards leasing one of them. Since tubing will be the goal, I know slope, lack of too much brush and debris is important. I'm hoping at least one of them will allow me to drive my truck right to the bush.

My question concerns the trees themselves. Are there any rules of thumb which prefers younger trees to older or vise-versa? I understand crown size, amount of crowding, and can probably determine general state of health (And catapiller infestation this year), but - all other things being the same, are younger trees better than established ones?

My own experiences SEEM to indicate that younger trees give more sap/tap (and run quicker), but older ones give sweeter sap (and run longer). Is that what others have found?

Fred Henderson
06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Ibby , I had to opportunity to walk in one our member's bush today and I must say the I was astounded at the size of some of the trees. They were easily 4-1/2' to 5' in dia on the stump. Great crowns. Also he has a lot of young maples coming and some are tappable. I myself like the big tress because when using buckets one stop yields a lot of sap. A 20 -30" dia is also a nice size and usually very healthy.

Pete33Vt
06-10-2006, 04:54 AM
When I walk sugarbushes looking for taps, I look at pretty much the same as you. I also look to see if the trees are of all different sizes. I don't really like to tap were all the trees are big. I like a good mix. Also I don't like a bush that has alot of other trees involved, ie.. hemlock, spruce, beech. These seem to bring alot of problems in the future. I too look for undergrowth, and debris, slope of land, acesses to land, tank placement. As far as big trees vs. little trees. I am not to picky as long as the trees are all healthy, and sound then they are tappers.

On the caterpiler front, they are showing up in Norther Vt. I wish all the rain would drown them. Good luck on your walk.