PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Syrup in March?!

derekp
03-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Ugh...very disappointed...80 gallons boiled down and the syrup has an "off" taste...it almost tastes buddy but not quite on that level...almost a metallic taste to it...here's what concerns me...drew off at 217-218 and ended up with 3 gallons of almost syrup....??knew something wasn't right...seemed really really light...went to finish and the hydrometer finally hit the line when the syrup was at 225 degrees!!whats going on?!?!?!this is my third year making syrup and never had anything close to this happen...could the first runs of the season be junky sap?!also there seems to be a TON of nitre in my pan...anyone have any thoughts?!?

DonMcJr
03-11-2013, 11:58 PM
I can't add much except I too drew off at 218 and plan on finishing it whenever my Supplier decides to ship the Bottles I ordered last Monday and I hope I don't run into the same issue.

Just a thought... After you drew it off did you store it in any new or different containers that you didn't use the last few years?

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
When was the last time you had your hydrometer calibrated? What are you boiling with? How are you holding your sap (what kind and age of tanks)? If your hydrometer was way off and you have heavy niter, you could have a "burnt niter" off-flavor.

derekp
03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
My hydrometer was new last year, 2 brand new galv storage tanks pumped daily into brand new poly tank...stainless flat pan..stainless pots for finishing and leader one cone filter tank...

mantispid
03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
My hydrometer was new last year, 2 brand new galv storage tanks pumped daily into brand new poly tank...stainless flat pan..stainless pots for finishing and leader one cone filter tank...

Metallic taste... new galvanized storage tanks... That would make me wonder.

derekp
03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
I dont seem to think its the tanks but i really dont know...brand new tanks triple rinsed..sap only in them for 48 hrs max...could it be soil related?first year in this area...still confused...

PerryW
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Was this the first run of sap that you collected? Sometimes off-flavors can occur if the tubing wasn't rinsed out enough from the previous season. Also, off-flavors are more noticeable in the early season light-amber syrup.

smokeyamber
03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Temp doesn't seem bad, I have finished that high. Galvanized tank and metallic tastes sounds like the most likely to me...

derekp
03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
All the tubing is new...first year in this new spot..trees never have been tapped before

red maples
03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Galvanized tanks....sitting for 2 days.

SPILEDRIVER
03-12-2013, 08:56 PM
my moneys on the GALV TANKS!!!

PerryW
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
If it's the galv. tank, then they must be making it different. There are plenty of people who make great syrup using galv. buckets and tanks.

Have you let other people taste it? What do they think?

derekp
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I've seen pictures of alot of people using the exact same stock tanks that i have...the taste is really bland, its flat tasting, really lacking the maple sweet...it could of just been a bad batch...i got a new hydrometer and thermometer and tested all my equipment and everything is in check...odd thing is that tonite, water boiled at 207 degrees...which adds more confusion...i just filled a pot right off of the rig and its on the stove boiling down...maybe my filter gave it an odd taste?!

derekp
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Steam doesnt even smell right.....not sweet at all......

derekp
03-12-2013, 11:45 PM
well the taste is better than before taking it rite right out of the pan unfiltered...filter must have had some effect on the taste...still very light tasting syrup...but better...

derekp
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Thought it was better but its not..it smells like my work boots

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

Try boiling down a little on the stove in a stainless pot. That'll tell you whether it is the sap or something in the processing.

heus
03-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Boiling buddy sap will often smell like dirty socks.

rgmaple
03-14-2013, 05:34 PM
What do you use to filter your syrup?

derekp
03-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I did another test tonight to rule out my equipment....i put a brand new food grade 5 gallon bucket right on the end of my mainline and filled it, brought it home, boiled it down in a stainless buffet tray on a propane burner, and its looking like the same thing...its like its buddy....long stringy floaties in it.....smells like buddy syrup...normal practice for me is to pass through a pre filter right off the rig, then bring syrup up to temp, then pass through 2 prefilters and a synthetic filter into my bottler...im skipping everything in between...and still the same...well im glad to know its not my equipment...but looks like now i have to find new trees?!?!

derekp
03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Any thoughts before i tear down and relocate??

earthsaver77
03-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm no syrup expert, but I know a lot about trees in-general. It sounds like your process of elimination should continue before abandoning the whole project area.

Since you've already ruled out the metallic taste coming from your new metal containers, here's some other issues worth ruling out.

First, segregate any trees along roads, railroad tracks, lawns, creeks, or even dreaded septic leach fields from mid-forest trees. Those areas may have contaminated soil or water feeding trees in the area.

With an odd smell and metallic taste, there's always a slim chance that the trees have been treated with a systemic pesticide? Check with USDA to see if they have an invasive beetle eradication program nearby. If so, find out if any of your trees were treated, and avoid those trees forever.

Check to see if any trees show signs of woodboring beetle damage up high in any tree. Look for wet spots on the ground or down the trunk where the tree might be bleeding, and trace it back to the source of the sap drips. Beetles that bore into wood can innoculate trees with bacteria and fungal infections, which could be giving you the bad smell in your sap.

Try eliminating or separating any of the trees at the peak of a hill or forest edge where they typically get more annual sunlight exposure and reach higher temperatures than the rest. The chemical processes in these trees will be altogether different than mid-forest and understory trees. Check the color of the sap to make sure it's clear, and if not, eliminate those trees from this year's production.

Good luck.